RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where did all the rain go ? We haven't had any significant rainfall here since mid May. Dryer then I've ever seen New England .

Steve

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Us too!!! Please Mother Nature ..... we'd like a little bit!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Got 20min worth today.. Not near enough. Water levels at an all time low. Crops dryin up. Havnt had a significant rain fall since mid June.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
We are in a dought here big time. :(

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
And what is odd is that I live where we normally have 8" TOTAL precip a year (we rely on irrigation to grow crops/yards, etc), and yet I had over 1.25" in an hour yesterday causing all kinds of havoc around here. Must be global warming???????

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Steve asked
Where did all the rain go?
We've got it.

Wettest summer since records began; absolutely horrible, cold, wet, next to no sunshine. The late frost saw off the stone fruit crop, we haven't a plum, damson or cherry to show for it. Stuff like courgettes and tomatoes won't grow, and peas and beans won't set because of the lack of insect life. We've got one bumper crop though .... slugs. The forecast shows no sign of any let up.

Just to add to the joy of nations, the CLA Gamefair the biggest shooting and dog event in the World has been cancelled because the site is waterlogged.

Eug

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
We are extrememly dry where I'm at in southern Minnesota. My lawn is completely brown.
Funny you mentioned this. Last week I was in Tennessee and they mentioned on the morning news that they were expecting some rain which they were happy about because everyone's lawn had turned brown. I've lived on the West Coast all my life and our lawns would be brown much of the summer too if we relied on rainfall to keep it watered. But everyone waters their lawns. Most have irrigation systems installed which are on timers so that the lawn, gardens, shrubs are watered regularly. Is this not a common practice in the South/Mid West? I understand there's usually enough rain to keep things green in the summer back there but why don't people water when it's been dry?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
We received rain :) yesterday three times in Watford Ontario. And a good rain. Really a welcome site!!! I think near the tip of the lake helps. Some people got none. Strange weather this year. Hope you all get rain!!!:)

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
We have gotten it everyday for the past two months. Normal rainy season here pretty much, but we are stiil a few inches behind for the year. Raining buckets right now

·
Registered
40 Posts
Some homeowners and businesses water to keep their lawns plush. I typically do not. Typically my lawn stays kinda green through the dog days of summer. I don't recall seeing my lawn this burnt in the past.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Some homeowners and businesses water to keep their lawns plush. I typically do not. Typically my lawn stays kinda green through the dog days of summer. I don't recall seeing my lawn this burnt in the past.
I did notice business seemed to have greener, lush lawns than residences in TN. Just found it interesting how it doesn't seem to be common place to water outside of the west.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Still raining here. Rained most of the night and looks like another rainy day. Then again this is our season. From November to May we get very little

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did notice business seemed to have greener, lush lawns than residences in TN. Just found it interesting how it doesn't seem to be common place to water outside of the west.
I've been to Spokane several times over the years and you guys would appear to be much dryer (in the summer) that us back here in MN.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Where did all the rain go ? We haven't had any significant rainfall here since mid May. Dryer then I've ever seen New England .

Steve

So, do your pastures look like this?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
A farmer friend had insurance adjuster out this week and fields that generally average 190-230 bushel of corn per acre are estimated to yield 1 bushel per acre this year. This drought is guna effect everyone in the hip pocket soon.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
A farmer friend had insurance adjuster out this week and fields that generally average 190-230 bushel of corn per acre are estimated to yield 1 bushel per acre this year. This drought is guna effect everyone in the hip pocket soon.
Better fatten up like a grizzly preparing for winter cause lean times are a'comin.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
It does no good to water when the temps are staying in the 90'-100's. Even people who have private wells around here that water daily have very dry yards. Someone that normally gets 100 big round bales off his field got 33 on the only cutting he will get this year. Small square bales are going for $10-$15 for a 60/40 or 50/50 mix. Only going to get worse as the hay is just starting to hit the market here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's rained like crazy here for the last 10 days or so. Seems like it is feast or famine now days. Wish it would go away so I can play some golf. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts