RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carried Bramble into the kennel on Sunday for a "jog-a dog" donation for our local PALS program in my little Honda car. He could not get in. Old guy made the circuit, finished the 'Race" in last place! I am proud as a peacock--he is 15.

I had purchased this ramp, and finally used it today. He is getting acclimated/confident. Hasn't mastered it yet--will get there-- gotta love these old guys and gals! Not Easy, but reality for the dogs we love.

Anyone else using a ramp?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I didn't use a ramp. I pick up my dogs and send them to their kennel in the SUV. When it was time to release them, I would grap their choke collar and help the fall.
Your boy is sure a keeper and my hat is off to you.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm using a ramp for my old pal for him to get in my 4x4 truck. He can't jump quite like he used to.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Used it for years. Don't know what I would have done without it. Can't make myself take it out of the truck even though the young sprout doesn't really need it.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I used a ramp for Spring for several years. I couldn't pick him up anymore. He adjusted to it with a little training. I lost him Dec 28,2011. He was 2 months short of 16. He could no longer make it into the Tahoe - not a big jump!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I carried Bramble into the kennel on Sunday for a "jog-a dog" donation for our local PALS program in my little Honda car. He could not get in. Old guy made the circuit, finished the 'Race" in last place! I am proud as a peacock--he is 15.

I had purchased this ramp, and finally used it today. He is getting acclimated/confident. Hasn't mastered it yet--will get there-- gotta love these old guys and gals! Not Easy, but reality for the dogs we love.

Anyone else using a ramp?

Where did you get the ramp from? My dog Blackie 10 yo looked at the truck today and looked at me. Finally he did go in but....

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have nothing to add except that there's something wonderfully noble about a wise old retriever in their golden years. We owe them every comfort for their love and devotion.

That says it all.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you get the ramp from? My dog Blackie 10 yo looked at the truck today and looked at me. Finally he did go in but....
My wife ordered it, not sure from where. ??

It is solid, reasonably light, and stable.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I bought one a couple of years ago that was rated to 200 #s. It collapsed under my 65# lab. I did get my money back, but have been afraid to try another. Does anyone have any realtime experience with one that works?

Oh yes, as they age these dogs deserve everything we can possibly do for them. My oldest, 7, gets to sleep on the bed:)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I bought one a couple of years ago that was rated to 200 #s. It collapsed under my 65# lab. I did get my money back, but have been afraid to try another. Does anyone have any realtime experience with one that works?

Oh yes, as they age these dogs deserve everything we can possibly do for them. My oldest, 7, gets to sleep on the bed:)
PetStep will support me at 210 lb.

·
Registered
AFC Wight's The Dark Side "Vader", Wight's Behind the Eight Ball QA2 "Molly"
261 Posts
I have nothing to add except that there's something wonderfully noble about a wise old retriever in their golden years. We owe them every comfort for their love and devotion.
Well said.

Beautiful fellow you have...glad he has you to take care of him too!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well said.

Beautiful fellow you have...glad he has you to take care of him too!
Thanks very much for that Tracy! We're awfully proud of Mosby! He's away at training right now and we miss him dearly. His "second" homecoming sometime this summer is going to be a great day.

Judging from your website yours are beautiful as well. There's something about Virginia dogs don't you think :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
I bought one a couple of years ago that was rated to 200 #s. It collapsed under my 65# lab. I did get my money back, but have been afraid to try another. Does anyone have any realtime experience with one that works.
Just bought one from Solvit, I think it's rated to 400lbs. Since I run labs and not shetland ponies, it's more than adequate.

I use it for all the older dogs whether needed or not. It's a very sturdy ramp, telescopes down so that I can fit it in an empty hole in the truck.

http://www.solvitproducts.com/products-ls798_1_ls-i42_i.aspx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.