RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who've been to these and the course uses "muzzled "snakes, how did they do it? Ive seen one site where they use surgical tape around the mouth. Is this standard,? It looks pretty safe but thats my concern . I ve seen dogs get out of muzzles , so why coudnlt a snake? The tape looks pretty good though....

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have not been to any such class but I can only assume that they would also use venomoid snakes.

It would be hard as a business like that to get insurance if they used venomous snakes.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
The ones that I went to had vet staples closing the mouth.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Personally I prefer a 16 penny nail.

Pneumatic nailer regards

Bubba

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I know of classes held with snakes who had their mouths sewn shut, and snakes who had their fangs cut off....likely those are both too politically incorrect now....

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Safety is paramount!!! Snakes are de-fanged and their mouths are stapled shut. I would not attend a clinic that did anything else.

No Marlana,,, they are not politically incorrect now. On any given weekend from mid July until September 1st there are de-snaking clinics in Texas and they are all handled the same way. De-fanged and mouths stapled shut.

Angie

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Good to hear....anything less is just not safe....

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Their fangs grow back quickly....

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Their fangs grow back quickly....
I know one guy who super glues the mouths shut. And.........I doubt the snakes live long enough to regrow the fangs.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
The folks up here this week from S. Cal have muzzled rattlers. Looks to be a fine strip around their mouths. I will see if I can fwd you the video from FB-- done, to you privately.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In AZ, a couple dozen ratters in a cage, about 8 foot long, 2 feet high, 3 feet wide. The cage had tiny tiny wire openings (maybe 1/3 inch or less), & the dogs were never let close enough to touch the wire (they were on a leash), then the e collar was used.

Owners were actually not allowed to be near the area (so the dog wouldnt be paying attention to the owner & not the snakes). So we hid behind the vehicles about 150 feet away.

·
Registered
377 Posts
holy cow, defanged and stapled? The clinics I've seen in SoCal use taped (muzzled) snakes, and the handlers were perfectly comfortable with it. Another method I've seen involves something that looks like a bottle taped over the snakes' heads/necks. I've heard of trainers using caged snakes, but I don't like the idea, since I don't think the dog would get a good look at them. I've also heard of trainers using live, unmuzzled, unrestrained, fully-fanged rattlers. Nuts, if you ask me!

By muzzling by some means or another, the trainers are able to re-use the snakes in future clinics.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Those snakes are lucky, we used one my husband killed. It worked, she trotted right past a live, six foot Eastern Diamondback 2 hours later.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Just after the last rattler related post, I was training at a place where a bull snake, impersonating a rattler, definitely got the attention of a couple Corgis owned by friends (and a few humans that cleared out fast!). We ended up doing some desensitization on that snake, just as I had done on a Lab years ago who was my best snake detector until she died at 13.5. I can only say that the first training session on water done after that got the attention of a couple of my girls. Anything wriggling in the water made them take a 2nd look (and wide berth). Bullfrogs/tadpoles/minnows inclusive! :p I'm just wondering if rattlers inside a cage can be effective (or dead snakes or in my case now twice, w/ bull snakes), why even use rattlers? Yea yea, rattlers are pretty predictive about their aggressiveness,but I dont think smell has that much to do w/ it personally after watching my old girl react.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'd insist their mouths be sutured and double sutured with stainless steel wire! And then taped. But then again, the only thing I hate worse than a snake is two of them.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just after the last rattler related post, I was training at a place where a bull snake, impersonating a rattler, definitely got the attention of a couple Corgis owned by friends (and a few humans that cleared out fast!). We ended up doing some desensitization on that snake, just as I had done on a Lab years ago who was my best snake detector until she died at 13.5. I can only say that the first training session on water done after that got the attention of a couple of my girls. Anything wriggling in the water made them take a 2nd look (and wide berth). Bullfrogs/tadpoles/minnows inclusive! :p I'm just wondering if rattlers inside a cage can be effective (or dead snakes or in my case now twice, w/ bull snakes), why even use rattlers? Yea yea, rattlers are pretty predictive about their aggressiveness,but I dont think smell has that much to do w/ it personally after watching my old girl react.
Except they do use a live rattler so that the dog is exposed to not only smell and sight but SOUND.
I cant imagine CA would allow the use of a sutured,or stapled snake- (but I would be JUST FINE WITH IT! Kill it when its purpose is done too. fwiw since Im not a snake fan...particularly not a rattler), too many AR wackoes in this state. BTW Anne thanks for sening me the video but I couldnt open it. The outfit you referred to is the same one I'm doing the class with and I was told they do use tape. A client did it and said it was worth it and felt safe with the snakes restrained as they were.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Just a question, I have heard that any snake is good to use because its the oder, that they put off that the dogs are learning to avoid. could this be true.
Keith

1 - 20 of 25 Posts