RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like know what the thought are on giving a dog this vaccination ?

Is the vaccination good on all species of Rattlesnakes ?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Dr. Becky Malphus down in Georgia recommends them. She thinks that it actually helps the reaction to bites from any poisonous snake be less severe. Some of Andy's clients get them on their dogs.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It's worth the $ no doubt. Down here in GA the dogs that have it fair a good bit better after at least timber and diamondback bites.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Would like know what the thought are on giving a dog this vaccination ?

Is the vaccination good on all species of Rattlesnakes ?

Thanks

Tjs dog in Cheyenne was bit by one last september i believe, He had the shots and just alittle swelling, minimal vet bill,
Rosco was bitten about 5 years ago on a weekend in September 1200 bucks,,,,,

Yes it is worth it...

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I'll chime in-.... I had a dog bit last spring .She had the rattlesnake shot on board. My vet said itslike having a dose of antivenom in their system. He feels that if we'd not have had the shot, she'd have died for sure...thats good enough insurance for me...
I had 11 dogs vaccinated two weeks ago, rattlesnake season is almost upon us...
for 23.00 a pop , its very very much worth it to me...
not sure what species its good for check the website,I think its "Red Rock labratories"do a search-they have it on their website...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It will help with most types of rattlesnakes that have "digestive toxin"-as posted above, it has no effect on a rattler (like mojave green) that has a neuro toxin. It is worth getting for your dog if you are in an area that has rattlers.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
dm...
call Mid Valley Vet. in Orland 854-5634
They did all mine last week- plus theyre good there...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for all the punctuation. I tried to just type "thanks!" but I got an error message that my reply was not long enough. So I lengthened it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Both of my dogs got it as pups and have had the boosters. Cheyenne was bitten 2 years ago. Had slight swelling, but never slower her down. I think it would have been much worse without the vaccine.

I talked with one of the research vets at Texas A&M about it and he claims it's actually good formultiple types of snakes but can only be marketed for rattlesnakes since that is the only type of bite they did labratory testing on. He said the cost to test for copper head, water moccasin, etc would be cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Anyone know about any possible dangers of the vaccine itself? I haven't heard anything, so just asking. I dove hunt down here and although haven't seen many rattlers where I hunt, they have been seen, so this thread holds quite a bit of interest for me. Thanks

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Some of my dogs developed a lump (resi marble sized) at the site. Went away.
One dog, my terrier, got that and it abscessed... this year shes' had the shot and has not had that happen,its been two weeks now. knock wood...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone know about any possible dangers of the vaccine itself? I haven't heard anything, so just asking. I dove hunt down here and although haven't seen many rattlers where I hunt, they have been seen, so this thread holds quite a bit of interest for me. Thanks
I found this info doing a search, I talked to our vet this morning and was told that the cost is $15 per vaccination , you have to vaccinate (2) twice the first time the dog is vaccinated, 1st vaccination followed 30 days later with the 2nd.

I also asked what the treatment was if a dog is bitten that has been vaccinated, was told antibiotics and that was it

If a dog is bitten that has not been vaccinated and anti venom is used it's like $500 a vile.......... see link below

http://www.rattlesnakevaccinefordogs.com/

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
I found this info doing a search, I talked to our vet this morning and was told that the cost is $15 per vaccination , you have to vaccinate (2) twice the first time the dog is vaccinated, 1st vaccination followed 30 days later with the 2nd.

I also asked what the treatment was if a dog is bitten that has been vaccinated, was told antibiotics and that was it

If a dog is bitten that has not been vaccinated and anti venom is used it's like $500 a vile.......... see link below

Depending on the severity of the bite (amount of envenomization) anti-venin may be required but much less than in an unvaccinated dog. Dogs typically get a soft tissue reaction in the region of the immunization therefore we give the vaccine in the flank region. In high risk areas semi-annual boosters are recommended, in my practice we usually boost prior to dove season in the summer, we do not have a local rattlesnake problem but I have clients who hunt in areas that have rattlesnake problems.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts

Great info. Thanks. I'll be calling the vet this aft.

HPL

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
If I were to get this vaccine for my dogs while we are still in Taos, would I have any problem getting the next shot, due in 4 weeks when we are on the road in CO and UT?

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Surely not.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Surely not.

I don't know HPL. A couple of years ago I had problems finding a vet "on the road" that would change a bandage without doing a "wellness exam". I would hope a vaccine like this would be offered anywhere, but just checking before I pay for 3 and then can't follow up in a month.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Some of my dogs developed a lump (resi marble sized) at the site. Went away.
x2 My dog gets a lump every year, @ the injection site ~7 days after shot. I have them inject under the skin right above the ribs, it's easier to rub out that way. Her second booster injection in the neck scruff blew up really big, and was hard to work out. The vet said ~3% of dogs have this reaction, the chance of us running into a ratter are much higher, I'll deal with the lump/

I don't think you'd have a hard time finding it on the road, depending on where your going, my observation are the type of vets that have ratter vaccine, are not the type of vets that do wellness exams, for vaccines, they seem "A little more country than that" ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts