RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Training my first dog for hunting, making every mistake along the way. He's almost two now, and Ive messed up with FF along the way. I figured it out WAY too late and now it looks like i have to go back and try to fix things.

Just how difficult/successful can this be? Is it possible to re-train with decent success?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Much will depend on what specific behaviours are going wrong; re-visiting FF might be appropriate, equally it might not. Very often we confuse the methodology of training with the outcome; what we should be doing is looking to the quality of the training relative to the results we see.

If you could perhaps tell the group just what is going wrong for you at the moment, the FF experts could give an opinion. I do a fair bit of remediation training, (not FF) because I find it challenging and rewarding, but not everyone enjoys it. It can push your knowledge and skills to the limit which isn't always a comfortable place to be. Just a general observation by way of encouragement ..... at his age there isn't generally too much that can't be straightened out.

Eug

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Part of the purpose of the first dog is to make the mistakes in training and learn from them. It happens to everyone, so don't be too hard on yourself. It's harder to fix a mistake than to teach something correctly the first time.... but in most cases it can be done.

As Colonel Blimp noted, we need to know a bit more about your issues.... Good luck and happy training!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Training my first dog for hunting, making every mistake along the way. He's almost two now, and Ive messed up with FF along the way. I figured it out WAY too late and now it looks like i have to go back and try to fix things.

Just how difficult/successful can this be? Is it possible to re-train with decent success?
I took a 2 1/2 year old lab that had every hole in training you can imagine, and he would freeze on birds. I took him back through Lardy's TRT from formal obedience through to advanced training. He is so much improved I'm amazed. He runs all of the AA field trial set ups that my younger dogs run with a few problems...

He is a huge cheater so I will pass on running anything that requires a fine slice of water. I will adjust my line to reduce the difficulty or not run it at all.

He will go in to hunt mode on blinds longer than 150 yards or so. He is much improved on blinds in general, but when running longer FT blinds, he just can't believe the bird is out beyound 150 yards.

His steadiness is not great. He bounces and creeps a bit. I live with it.

He will still freeze on birds in every test/trial, but it is rare that he will even stick on birds in training.

I put the older dog back through Lardy's system because I was training three young pups that I had bought. He was my test dog. All three of the pups were quickly outperforming my older dog. So I'd just tell you that it is unlikely that your first dog will ever be what it could have been, and never be as good as your next one will be. So you need to decide if you want to put that much effort into the dog you have, or if you want to spend that effort on your next great pup. Or you could do both as I did.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dogs resent redoing basic training. However, it can be done, although, i prefer attrition. I'm sure you will get many on this thread that will sight examples. let's take FF as an example; i prefer to mildly correct the problem in the field as it popps up, providiing the dog has a basic undsersanding of the task; it takles longer but is as effective as going back through basics. it is my experience that attempting to go back through boot camp creates big-time rebellion before compliance.
Good luck
GG

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

Since I'm somewhat familiar with your situation Newf, thot I'd add to this.

+ 1 on what everyone has mentioned thus far. As you know, there's a TON of respectable training thought here, and if I were you, I'd take the time to include ALL of your training history from the very first ear pinch, to what's happening presently,.. even your dogs' association with birds.

Include everything..time lapses in between training, how your dog responded to pressure, (including FTP, especially), CC'ing, how your dog progressed, (or didn't progress), in every drill, or concept,... Again,..include everything..

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Before you get to fixing things you better figure out what you MAY have done wrong or you will get to this same crossroad but a few weeks later and possibly in a deeper hole

Sometimes the fix it may be a temporary band aid masking a larger problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts