RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the flurry of threads about HT numbers being low, I was wondering if any of you RTF'rs are running less tests this year than in the past.
If so, what is your reasoning?

It is pure speculation unless we hear directly from those NOT running as to their reasoning for the decision.

Thanks,

·
Registered
605 Posts
Dog with two CCL tears....

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's not us, we're out there testing as usual.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Simple,

We are not ready. I did not have a good understanding of obedience and although we went four for four in AKC senior, we have a long way to go before Masters. Quite frankly, I'm not sure we wil get there.

JW

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Noah and Danielle. Ages 10 and 15.
Tournament Team Baseball + regular Team and AAU Basketball Tournaments.
Sue

·
Registered
533 Posts
Family. Work. And, sometimes, honestly, I'd rather spend the $$$ on hunting. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE testing, but sometimes life happens.

Limited resources regards,

Warren

·
Registered
415 Posts
Running 1/2 to 1/3 of the trials I did in the last few years.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bill

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Stopped running hunt tests and picking which field trials to run beecause of the expense of entries and gas

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
I am reminded of the great line by James Carville, "It's The Economy Stupid!"
just a few short summers ago I could drop a $50 in the gas tank and be at a test in West Thompson, Ct.
or Stewart Airport grounds in Ny. or out to Baldwinsville even. Now today I have an exactly 2 year old pup
and he has entered a total of 2 events. Now just two days ago I was test chair of a club level test. What years ago they called a picnic trial.
The cost for club members was a whopping $10 per dog and we tossed bumpers instead of birds. The test was central located in the state to make travel as equal as possible for our members. We had an abnormally HUGE turnout for a humble bumper club test with brand new folk and long lost friends coming out of the woodwork! I actually think my judges were caught a wee bit off guard by the numbers BUT we did not need truck headlights to finish! I asked a number of folk why they were running. Again, It's the economy stupid! Folks were using the club test as a gauge to see if they were ready to drop the cash and time to enter a licensed test. It was a cost effective way for them to get their time on line and gallery chat fix. That Carville feller is a smart man with a nice haircut.

·
Registered
392 Posts
From 2000-2010 averaged 64 HRC ENTRIES ,4 dogs X 8 weekends. For years 2011/12 the number is 0. Still run AKC at almost the same level as the years 2000-2010.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Retired then lost the Old Guy.
The Young Guy isn't ready due to looking after Old Guy, helping look after older people, work, my incompetence, you name it. But we're having fun and he is teaching me tons.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Young dog not ready for HT, YET ;-) . Middle aged dog doesn't have what iit takes to make to the next level. Older dog has reached the goal I had for him and now just hunts with me. Ops, I forgot "Retired" and on a fixed income ;-)

·
Registered
317 Posts
1. Spending more time with my wife/children.
2. Time
3. Money
4. I still train and love to talk dogs but have lost the desire to chase titles for many reasons.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The knees on me have gotten old! The left hip is not what it used to be! The back lets me know it still remembers falling off the ladder while cutting limbs with a chain saw (yes, STUPID!) To sum it up I guess I've gotten to the point where the body says, "enough is enough". Cleo and I are in the same fix, but we are loving Mandy takeing over Gator Point and what she is doing with it. Really makes retirement for the third time fun. I still have 5 old dogs to take care of and 80 acres that needs maintaining.

Do I miss running the dogs? I can still throw some marks for some of the younger, old dogs, but I miss the people! Dog people are some of the nicest folks there are, but they are busy too, but I still miss them. Old age SUCKS! Bill

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yup, me too, Ken! I should start by saying I only ran my old dog for the required passes to get his titles. I never had the funds to run for 500 pts. or run all over the country running tests "just for fun." Don't get me wrong, I wish I did, but even 10 years ago, that wasn't the family's priority for our money (translation: My wife wouldn't let me...).

Now, the old dog is HRCH UH and retired. He's done. The young dog has two Started passes last year and I planned to run Seasoned this year. I picked out two weekends and planned to run four Seasoned tests (one extra for safety's sake), to get that title. Unfortunately, he's just not going to be ready. I am pretty sure I could bluff him through one or two, but he's not going to nail three out of four, especially if they are the challenging, fun tests that I'd like to run. With that in mind, our family priorities definitely don't have the coin to go drop $55 on an entry fee, twice that on hotel, gas, food, and be out by 9:30 on Saturday morning! Maybe we'd pass, but I committed not to run this pup until he's ready, so I'm out for the year. I wish like heck I could help the situation, but it's just not in the cards for me to be the answer.

Summary: Dog not ready + family economy

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
We are running just not as much. With 3 dogs to run we are trying to stay close to home eliminating motel cost and reducing fuel cost. I figure food and beer cost are the same running or not.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts