RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I now have an f-250 diesel. I really like the truck but haven't really found a need for so much truck. Anyway, I've been seriously considering the FJ and unless I can talk Tammy into trading in her Magnum(I'm close) I may have to trade in the truck. If I switch, I want something that is better for off-road than the big truck. As far as the dogs, I figure I can load two in it without a lot of trouble and eventually get a trailer anyway. So other than, "it's fugly" type answers, give me some reasons NOT to buy an FJ.

BTW, I would "juice it up" a bit if I got it, lift, tires, etc, here are a couple of pics of some done like I would want.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
From what I've heard you get a pretty capable off road machine for the money, pretty good mileage, and purchase price. It's a Toyota so it's likely a not bad machine. I'd juice it up too so it's not too much of an obvious urban trendy cappacino machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,885 Posts
a big fella like you might find the quarters a bit cramped, but you'll be the envy of every teenage boy in Enid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,074 Posts
Check out the latest issue of Consumer Reports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
cuz with the FJ you can't haul: a big trailer. Plywood. drywall. a ton of brick. 10 bales of straw. more than one bag of dog food...

size matters regards...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,426 Posts
Per CR: "The FJ's styling echoes the rugged early FJ40 Land Cruisers. While its off-road prowess is superb, the FJ is full of compromises. Visibility is horrendous, and the rear-hinged rear doors provide poor cabin access and are difficult to close. The FJ has clumsy handling and can be disconcerting at its limits, although the standard stability control keeps it secure enough. The ride is compliant but jiggly. The V6 powertrain is smooth and punchy, and reliability has been top-notch in its first year. Crash-test results are very good. However, the FJ scores too low in our testing to be recommended."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,134 Posts
EdA said:
a big fella like you might find the quarters a bit cramped, but you'll be the envy of every teenage boy in Enid
Ed…When I was trying to envision Russ in a FJ the only thing I could think of was a Monkey and a Football. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
I had an old Land Cruiser and loved it.It was my favorite vehicle so far.I looked at the FJ.Forget it.The inside is a cave.You can't see anywhere out the back.I guess it only runs on premium fuel and gets about 15 mpg.Lot's of gas money for not being able to carry anything.I wish Toyota would just make the good old Land Cruiser again and quit making that fluffy stuff for 50,000+. I'd get a truck again.There really isn't that much out there to choose from and every thing costs as much as a house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,426 Posts
My bro-in-law has one and I don't like it at all. I call it his yuppy toaster on wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kjrice said:
Per CR: "The FJ's styling echoes the rugged early FJ40 Land Cruisers. While its off-road prowess is superb, the FJ is full of compromises. Visibility is horrendous, and the rear-hinged rear doors provide poor cabin access and are difficult to close. The FJ has clumsy handling and can be disconcerting at its limits, although the standard stability control keeps it secure enough. The ride is compliant but jiggly. The V6 powertrain is smooth and punchy, and reliability has been top-notch in its first year. Crash-test results are very good. However, the FJ scores too low in our testing to be recommended."
Interesting. I know the visibility is one thing that many critics have brought up but if you know how to drive with mirrors I don't see it as a big issue. The rear doors open "suicide style" and to me it was easier to put the kids in their car seats in the FJ than in Tammys Magnum.
As far as me fitting, there is actually a lot of room in them, not near as small as you would think.
I am just thinking a good 4x4 that I can actually get the kids in if I need, which a jeep won't do. there is still room for dogs inside as well, which I assume should be important. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Check out GMC's new Acadia. This Crossover gets up to 26 mpg, can seat 8 people and the back and middle seats fold down for a lot of cargo space. Easy to get the kids in and put a couple of dogs in the back as well.

http://www.gmc.com/acadia/acadia/index.jsp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,885 Posts
achiro said:
As far as me fitting, there is actually a lot of room in them, not near as small as you would think.
I am just thinking a good 4x4 that I can actually get the kids in if I need, which a jeep won't do. there is still room for dogs inside as well, which I assume should be important. :lol:
Sounds like you've already made up your mind :shock:

Don't Drive By The High School Slow Regards, :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
EdA said:
achiro said:
As far as me fitting, there is actually a lot of room in them, not near as small as you would think.
I am just thinking a good 4x4 that I can actually get the kids in if I need, which a jeep won't do. there is still room for dogs inside as well, which I assume should be important. :lol:
Sounds like you've already made up your mind :shock:

Don't Drive By The High School Slow Regards, :wink:
No, I haven't made up my mind at all.
Do you really think the high school chicks would dig it? :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,889 Posts
I think Like the hummer its ugly cool. Most new cars look the same to me kinda like the waste they call a GTO They had a show on o month ago about a privateer and a big sponsored FJ race baja. Make mine that classic blue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,426 Posts
Get a 4-Runner instead. It is a better more practical vehicle and very able off-road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Find a slightly used diesel Excursion. You can fit a whole bunch of kids in it and it's great off-road. My '05 gets about 22 mpg.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top