RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search but still have questions.

I have a six month old male Labrador pup. His sire weighed 75 lbs. In the kitchen we have a 40" Pet Porter. At night, he sleeps in a 32" Pet Porter in our bedroom. The 32" is getting cramped. At night, people occasionally come in the kitchen which would wake up the dog if he slept there.

Amazon has the 40" Pet Porter plastic crate for $103 (similar price at Wal-Mart).
http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-21184...d=1431611192&sr=1-15&keywords=large+dog+crate

They also have a 40" Airline rated crate for $130. It has air holes in the back.
http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Kenne...d=1431611192&sr=1-13&keywords=large+dog+crate

I have no airline travel plans but would not mind the difference if the quality is better.

Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated. One of these or something else.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I have various brands in the house, inside concrete kennels in winter, but the best I've tried and the ones in my dog car are large Ruff Tough's

http://www.rufftoughkennels.com/

I ordered from the factory so they wouldn't drill holes in the bottom half. I drilled lots in the top half.

Cost more, but for me well worth it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ruff tuff used to be the toughest crate, now it is a roto molded crate made by gunner kennels. The only downside to them is that they are pricey, around $500

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
How often do you (or your wife) plan on moving the crate? If not much, Ruff Tough is fine. But they are awkward to move, not light and the sharply-cut holes in the heavy plastic will hurt your hands. To sit in one place or in your SUV, they are fine. But I also compete in obedience trials. The RuffTough stays home and I take a more suitable crate.

Think about it. Mobiilty is not their strong point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone put a crate on the back seat of an extended cab F150. I haul my dog in the summer time in Texas. I have a topper with a cooling system made out of a 4" AC flex duct. Some times I wish I had the room the kennel takes up. The dimensions of a Ruff Tough kennel seem like they would fit in the back seat (35L x 22W x 23H). Anybody do that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have only put one in the back of a super cab, so I can't be much help on that. Gunners are a nice looking box, but you would be satisfied with ruff tough.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Has anyone put a crate on the back seat of an extended cab F150. I haul my dog in the summer time in Texas. I have a topper with a cooling system made out of a 4" AC flex duct. Some times I wish I had the room the kennel takes up. The dimensions of a Ruff Tough kennel seem like they would fit in the back seat (35L x 22W x 23H). Anybody do that?
I have a large Ruff Tough in the back seat of my '97 F150, pretty sure it is "extended cab" size. I have the seat folded down. I have it behind the driver seat as the only rear door is on the passenger side. I cannot recline the driver seat very far but I got used to it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Mine fits perfectly in my Super Crew Cab F150

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ruff Tuff all of the way. I have had just about everything else and all of them crack somewhere eventually. Not the Ruff Tuff. Awesome product. You pay a little more but you only have to buy it once. Large is best for the 70lb on up dogs. I have a med. for puppies and 2 large. One with double door. The Mud River covers fit great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts