RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell me what success you have had with this product?

As temps begin to rise keeping my dogs hydrated properly becomes the most important issue. Everybody seems to have a little trick, so if you have a good one please share with everyone here.

Before someone suggests moving north, I already have two dogs working in WI, so I am aware of the difference in climate.

Thank you,..........

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I used some for the first time yesterday and it seemed to really help. I will continue to use it during the summer.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The two dogs I've tried to get to drink it wouldn't, even when denied other water for quite some time. Maybe the new pup...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I tried it and my pup didn't like it either. I couldn't get him to drink it even after a hot morning at a hunt test.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Has anybody tried adding a little bit of gatorade to the water to add some sugar to the mix?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i thought it was all hype until i used it yesterday and today. im really pleased with it. can you buy it in bulk?

·
Registered
21 Posts
But sometimes a pup won't drink plain ole water. I used some back in Feb and didn't see a difference. Then I used it last weekend at Training in the Timber when it was hot because Emmie wouldn't drink much plain water. It made a big difference. Used it again this weekend at a HT. She went from refusing water to drinking quite a bit. My other dog doesn't like it though.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pedialyte

I have used this product with some success.

Important factors to consider are: Pedialyte IDEALLY needs to stored in a cool enviroment they say something like 75-55 degrees. After it it opened it needs to be kept cold,45 degrees and used within 48 hours it what they have told me.

Also Pedialyte (the name brand) is very expensive! 5.50 per quart!!!!! at my local grocery store. Off brands at Wal-Mart are of coarse cheaper.

I use the unflavored type of coarse.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Re: Pedialyte

lablove said:
Off brands at Wal-Mart are of coarse cheaper.
or you can make your own :idea:

1 quart warm water
4 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt substitute (KCl)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Since dogs do not sweat they do not lose electrolytes, sugar water or honey water is just as good

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Haven't used Pedialyte or Rehydrate...I've always used lots of water and Second Wind bars (which are also supposed to replace electrolytes, as I understand it). When we're hunting quail on hot days in Baja, I carry two 1/2 liter sports bottles of water clipped to my hunting belt for my FBL and she'll go through both of those in an hour or so...I give her 4 Second Winds before we start, 4 more a couple of hours later, and 4 more at the end of the hunting day (usually about 2pm). Seems to work for her, but I'll try one (or both) of the liquids and see how she does.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SECOND WIND BARS

Devlin: Never heard of the second wind bars. Sounds like you like what they do for your dog. Could you tell me you get them from?

Thanks,....

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Re: SECOND WIND BARS

lablove said:
Devlin: Never heard of the second wind bars. Sounds like you like what they do for your dog. Could you tell me you get them from?

Thanks,....
I get them from my local feed supply store (they order them for me by the case). Interestingly, they're made by Greenies, which I don't give my FBL...the last one of those she had, she swallowed whole! :evil: These are a small, compressed biscuit and you determine the quantity to give your dog based on the dog's weight. Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts