RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering what all of you guys thought about perodically going back and doing drills that you have already taught the dog. Just common stuff like TT, swimby, etc. If you think this is helpful, how often would you go back and redo this type of stuff?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
You shouldn't go back to TT or swimby per se. I do repeat eight handed casting occasionally but probably shouldn't do that. The prohibition against these drills is that on TT the back cast means straight back. Eventually you'll get to the point where a straight up back cast means give me a slight adjust ment in the direction.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If by "go back" you mean that you didn't expose your dog to multiple places when you did swim-by and it's been a year or so since you did swim-by, then I'd say find a new spot to do a swim-by tune up.

Wayne already hit on why one wouldn't go back to TT, swimby, etc. And I agree up to a point - my question.

My take on all this is IF you really think the dog has forgotten some of these lessons, then I'd go back for a shore up then quickly come back to your advanced drills/tune up drills.

Sometime we humans forget stuff and need to go back for a tune up. ;-)

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Nothing wrong with running drills even as the dog gets older. Angie b posted last week or week before she spent a whole week revisiting water force and swm by with the whole truck. As long as the dog has a good attitude and desire why not? I saw a pro doing his AA dogs on TT and water T last month.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I do repeat eight handed casting occasionally but probably shouldn't do that.
So Wayne since you mainly follow TRT, are the 3 Transition drills(8-Handed casting,No-No & WW) listed on the TRT Flow Chart not good Tune-up drills? As in they are as listed, (Transition) drills?

I'm reading Mike Stewart's(Wildrose Kennels) article right now to see what he has to say;
10 Retriever Tune Up Tips - Pepare your dog for the season and keep him sharp all year LINK

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I know of several AA trainers who will make a dog swim by periodically just because. Granted this is after they're coming in from a setup, but still. The last time I checked, they're wildly successful @ what they do.

·
Registered
605 Posts
So Wayne since you mainly follow TRT, are the 3 Transition drills(8-Handed casting,No-No & WW) listed on the TRT Flow Chart not good Tune-up drills? As in they are as listed, (Transition) drills?

I'm reading Mike Stewart's(Wildrose Kennels) article right now to see what he has to say;
10 Retriever Tune Up Tips - Pepare your dog for the season and keep him sharp all year LINK
They are Transition drills. But some use them as tune up drills too. Lardy mentions tune ups drills in TRT and in a couple of his articles in TWML.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
It shouldn't surprise anyone that some trainers, even the A list ones, do things differently. WW, eight handed casting, no-no drills are transition drills but not tune up drills. Tune up drills aren't specifically listed on his chart but are described in detail in his booklet accompaning the dvd and in the dvd.

In general they are kinda like a 3-5 peat blinds, blinds run from different spots (in the same general area) but incorporating the same general concept.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
I also do lots of pattern blinds but that wasn't one of the items mentioned. If the AA trainer you are talking about does just the swimby part and it's in a different location that is find. Remember I said per se. The part that I wouldn't repeat is the straight backs to the pile over and over.

Again lots of trainers do things differently.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Swim-by with a tune up drill with the whole truck, 2-3 times a year. Every year I brush up casting for those who need it, (usually little guys), twice a year. I don't do no-no anymore for now. I'm always having them go over or into a factor every day in the field, so I don't think I'm gaining anything there.

I'm sorry,,, I didn't learn from a book or dvd. Just worked with some really good pro's and amateurs.

FWIW

Angie

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
As did I, learn from some really good pros. But I am also studying Lardy's and Voigts methods and trying to continually improve. What others do is fine with me. There are lots of ways to skin a cat.

For instance Danny Farmer and Mike Lardy have a different approach to transitioning to cold blinds. I applaud them both as they are both great hall of fame trainers.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I also do lots of pattern blinds but that wasn't one of the items mentioned. If the AA trainer you are talking about does just the swimby part and it's in a different location that is find. Remember I said per se. The part that I wouldn't repeat is the straight backs to the pile over and over.

Again lots of trainers do things differently.
Wayne, Mike does revisit pile work but not TT and not pattern blinds. I've heard it said in the DVDs or elsewhere that there are better ways to work on issues that arise that to return to TT or Pattern Blinds.

Dennis Voigt has written on drills and would be worth the effort for the OP to search for the thread. In his writing he mentions the purposes for doing drills in general.

Some drills like wagon wheel lining, I do many times each year with all 4 dogs. I'll do a water tune up drill with all each spring as well. But for the most part, I rarely do drills and I never do drills just to give the dog something to do. I train 4 advanced dogs and a puppy, and time spent with each must be used for maximum benefit. If I need to return to pile address a loopy sit with one dog, I don't run the others on that drill.

Edit: Here is the link I mentioned...
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56664

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
Captainjack, I agree with everthing Dennis said. There are drills to solve problems and if I have a problem I do them but not to be just doing drills.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Nothing wrong with running drills even as the dog gets older. Angie b posted last week or week before she spent a whole week revisiting water force and swm by with the whole truck. As long as the dog has a good attitude and desire why not? I saw a pro doing his AA dogs on TT and water T last month.

DITTO!!!:)

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Nothing wrong with running drills even as the dog gets older. ...

As long as the dog has a good attitude and desire why not? ...
Because time can be more profitably spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Says who? If someone thinks there time is best spent on drills then again, why not?
Says me. My name and user name etc. are clearly visable on my post.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts