RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On singles, is there anything wrong with retrieving mark #1, then mark #2, then back to mark #1? Basically retrieving three marks off of two gun stations.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
:? i guess i don't understand why you'd want to do that.

normally, if the dog is successful most people wouldn't repeat it. if the dog fails it, that is an option, but i still wouldn't repeat it unless it had factors i couldn't recreate in a different location, or unless it was in a drill setup.(abcd drill, "w" drill,etc.)

the reasoning is...since i'm going to correct the dog for returning to an old fall, it's not fair to direct them to do it.-paul

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
What would be your goals in doing this? What is your rationale as opposed to just going and running more marks elsewhere?

Evan

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Had this dilemma just this morning. Cheating single, angle down a long bank, catch a corner and angle back up the bank and out on a long flat to the mark. The background was unique and couldn't be easily duplicated.
One dog approached it in a way that looked like he hadn't seen the fall, but did stumble on it. The mark was a valuable one and one that couldn't be duplicated elsewhere, so we decided that if, in fact, he hadn't seen it he hadn't actually run it. :roll:
So we reran it.
Was that a bad decision?
JS

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have done it for reasons most people might not expect, and am just curious what problems it can cause.

With my younger dog I did it to help teach the idea of going and coming back to get another mark. She was horrendous about coming back. I would have two thunderbirds out because that is all that would fit in my limited space and have her retrieve all eight bumpers off the two thunderbirds alternating between them. Getting another bumper off the Thunderbird was her reward for coming back and lining up.

I have also done it with her to teach the lesson of bird in mouth marks. On four marks on two gun stations, there are three opportunities for bird in mouth marks instead of one. Seems like it would teach the lesson better.

Also when my main goal is teaching holding blind manners, and line manners, it is easier to repeat the lesson without moving to another location.

Limited grounds and time is an issue most of the time.

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
JS said:
Had this dilemma just this morning. Cheating single, angle down a long bank, catch a corner and angle back up the bank and out on a long flat to the mark. The background was unique and couldn't be easily duplicated.
One dog approached it in a way that looked like he hadn't seen the fall, but did stumble on it. The mark was a valuable one and one that couldn't be duplicated elsewhere, so we decided that if, in fact, he hadn't seen it he hadn't actually run it. :roll:
So we reran it.
Was that a bad decision?
JS
Throw a bumper or 2 off the line,retrieve them to break the train of thought & then rerun the mark as a single.

Marvin S

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Brad B said:
If you're looking to save time or are limited on grounds, try moving your line to incoporate diffferent factors.

From a time standpoint—This works well with limited help and a lot of dogs.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
JS said:
So we reran it.
Was that a bad decision?
JS
Heck no! As a matter of fact we've been running tough cheaters with a long land entry for 2 days this week. They repeated the marks they had difficulty on or had to handle to. The marks that were repeated were repeated after they ran a blind, blinds or other marks. I think it's best to repeat after running something else. It's awfully easy to run it right, right after a dog just ran it. I think it makes them think a little harder when they run something else before the repeat.

Angie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts