RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Gundog owners, what is your approach to replacing your gundog?

• I just have one dog, when he/she is gone I get another one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have 2 dogs, start thinking about it when he/she is 6 or 7 and the replacement is trained up right

• I have 3 dogs, the pup, the gundog and the old war horse.

• I get a dog every few years or so. I always have a few well trained gundogs on hand.

• I always have a house full/kennel full of dogs, I stopped counting.

• Other ? the obligatory other ? explain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gundog owners, what is your approach to replacing your gundog?

Joe Miano

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
There was a time when I had 2 all the time, getting a replacement ready when the oldest turned 7, the youngest being 3. I'd get a litter pick, and have that one ready when the eldest aged out.

Recently, I've been doing that, but with pups that were litter picks that went to grandkids, or friends. Subsequently, my main guy is 10 and I'm puppyless, so next year might not be a good hunting year for me. Especially since I need a hunting dog that handles well, and that takes about a 2 year old to be up to the task.

I thought I'd have a pup to work with this fall, but the breeding didn't take. So we'll be giving it a try again soon. Not all bad, as Da Bull is getting ALL my attention, and that's as it should be. He's doing just great BTW. :D

UB

·
Registered
849 Posts
When one is exausted I don't hunt him
When one goes into heat I don't hunt her
Since I hunt almost every day, I need more dogs :roll:

tom

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Re: Labs anynomous

Keith Stroyan said:
I'm an addict and not trying to recover.

My theory was to have a pup, a 3-5 yr old, and a 9-11 yr old.

I have 5 - ages 11 to 2 yrs, and co-own some more. I usually rotate 2 on a pheasant hunting day. One's in heat now, the old one is lame (but when duck hunting yesterday and got a pheasant...)
You are definitely my favorite Brainiac. Another math prof with a non-working theory. Whoda thunk it?

I salute you...HERE'S LOOKIN' AT EUCLID!! :lol: :lol:

UB...may have to reconsider those funny skirts. The wearers seem to have too much fun. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I have the five month old pup(golden), two year old gun dog(golden) and the ten year old warhorse (blf) that is still showing them all how it is done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts