RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My brother is getting married in Charlottesville, VA, in May. My husband and I are going down for about a week and wanted to do some backpacking/camping/hiking with our dogs after the wedding. Both dogs are very high energy field Labs and need plenty of exercise (they are good with other dogs and collar conditioned). I've never left them with anyone who wasn't a trusted friend from my AKC/NAHRA group and am really nervous about kennels and boarding in general.

Another caveat: my 3 year-old is due to come into heat around that time, so I need a kennel that can accommodate that situation. Obviously, if it wasn't my only sibling's wedding, I would reschedule the trip.

Can anyone recommend a kennel in the Charlottesville area? We're willing to drive like an hour outside Charlottesville.

The breeder who bred my older dog is about 90 minutes from Charlottesville. I've been in contact with her in the past about other things (training tips, hunt tests, etc.). I don't think she typically boards, but would it be weird for me to contact her? Also not sure she'd want to take a bitch in season although it's not something she'd be unaccustomed to dealing with. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

***On a side rant: The hotel we booked in Charlottesville is "dog friendly", if your dog weighs less than 30 pounds. This is kind of bullshit. My aunt gets to bring her completely untrained monster of a yappy Chihuahua, but my TRAINED Labs (God's most beautiful creatures) are unwelcome.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A lot of motels with weight limits will waive them if you call and talk to the manager.

Trish Jagoda at Silver Brook would be a good place and I think she's around an hour away. I had a similar situation where I had to board (family wedding, couldn't get out of it) and she took care of my guys well. She runs a first class operation, is a good breeder and hunt test pro and will take care of you. I don't know about the in season issue but give her a call. http://www.silver-brook.com

·
Registered
153 Posts
Is Culpepper too far?
http://mountainrunkennel.com/
Great place. I know the owner personally.
have fun,
lucas

Hi,

My brother is getting married in Charlottesville, VA, in May. My husband and I are going down for about a week and wanted to do some backpacking/camping/hiking with our dogs after the wedding. Both dogs are very high energy field Labs and need plenty of exercise (they are good with other dogs and collar conditioned). I've never left them with anyone who wasn't a trusted friend from my AKC/NAHRA group and am really nervous about kennels and boarding in general.

Another caveat: my 3 year-old is due to come into heat around that time, so I need a kennel that can accommodate that situation. Obviously, if it wasn't my only sibling's wedding, I would reschedule the trip.

Can anyone recommend a kennel in the Charlottesville area? We're willing to drive like an hour outside Charlottesville.

The breeder who bred my older dog is about 90 minutes from Charlottesville. I've been in contact with her in the past about other things (training tips, hunt tests, etc.). I don't think she typically boards, but would it be weird for me to contact her? Also not sure she'd want to take a bitch in season although it's not something she'd be unaccustomed to dealing with. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

***On a side rant: The hotel we booked in Charlottesville is "dog friendly", if your dog weighs less than 30 pounds. This is kind of bullshit. My aunt gets to bring her completely untrained monster of a yappy Chihuahua, but my TRAINED Labs (God's most beautiful creatures) are unwelcome.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Mountain Run Kennels in Culpeper. I live near there and know the owner and kennel manager. I can recommend them.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Forgive me if this is way out of the area, but Cresthill Kennels is near Fredericksburg, VA, but again I dont know where that is compared to where you are staying. She breeds labs and has a boarding kennel too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I highly recommend Trish and her team at Silver Brook. She runs the best, most professional outfit I know of. Last year I had to leave three dogs behind while I traveled to Alaska. I live in upstate New York, drove to her place then back up to Baltimore. Well worth the extra three hours of travel for me to be able to enjoy my trip and not worry about my pups.

·
Registered
261 Posts
All of the above are great suggestions. If you just need to kennel the dog, Wakefield Kennel is in Earlysville which is about 10 miles from town and is easy to get to from RT 29. It's only a few miles from the Charlottesville airport.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts