RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to have my lab's eyes certified and get a cerf number. I was informed that he has a retinal fold in his right eye which would fail his cerf test. The optomotrist then told me to have a blood sample sent to OPTIGEN to see if he was a carrier or if he is affected. She said that if the bloodwork comes back negative then CERF would "probably" pass him as clear. Does anyone have any experience with this same situation? What was the result? Thanks

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
I just went to have my lab's eyes certified and get a cerf number. I was informed that he has a retinal fold in his right eye which would fail his cerf test. The optomotrist then told me to have a blood sample sent to OPTIGEN to see if he was a carrier or if he is affected. She said that if the bloodwork comes back negative then CERF would "probably" pass him as clear. Does anyone have any experience with this same situation? What was the result? Thanks
Untrue.

What kind of folds was your dog diagnosed with? (Focal or geographical?)

If your dog is diagnosed with multi-focal folds, your dog MAY be able to obtain a CERF number if the RD/OSD test comes back clear. However, in FIELD DOGS, geographical folds are the most common and if your dog has them, he isn't getting a CERF number.

http://www.optigen.com/opt9_rdosd.html scroll down to suggestions for implementation.

WRL

·
Registered
230 Posts
It is possible to get a CERF # with folds. The mother of my dog had them & the vet that checked her said that breeding wouldn't be cleared. Somehow, he went through the procedures to determine whether or not it was genetic, and she ended up being cleared. My dog tested normal a couple of months ago. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
Different significance of retinal folds for different breeds.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
It is possible to get a CERF # with folds. The mother of my dog had them & the vet that checked her said that breeding wouldn't be cleared. Somehow, he went through the procedures to determine whether or not it was genetic, and she ended up being cleared. My dog tested normal a couple of months ago. Good luck with it.
Is this dog a LABRADOR RETRIEVER like the OP's dog?

If you are talking a Boykin, they have different standards.

WRL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. WRL, I called the doctor back and they are focal not geographical so I guess I'm going to take the chance and have the DNA test done through Optigen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts