RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody making retiring - unretiring gunners these days?
I've checked all the places that I thought of, but came up with zilch. Lou was making them, but it appears as though Lyle has dropped them from the product list (Lyle, if that's not the case, please advise).
Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've checked all the places that I thought of, but came up with zilch. Lou was making them, but it appears as though Lyle has dropped them from the product list (Lyle, if that's not the case, please advise).
Thanks,
Andy
Check out Gunners up, my fault said out of stock.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Thanks,
Andy
Its possible to use a pop up pointing dog. I just acquired one for the pointers. Its a heavy bugger ,but I will tape a stick and light white material to it and let you know if it works
Pete

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its possible to use a pop up pointing dog. I just acquired one for the pointers. Its a heavy bugger ,but I will tape a stick and light white material to it and let you know if it works
Pete
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Pete
Careful using it with pointing Labs, Pete - might get no-go’s😉. Or they might “dishonor” their secondary instincts, and go like a regular retriever’s supposed to...

About 20 years ago, some training partners from Jersey were getting ready for NAVHDA’s “Invitational,” where the dogs are braced in the same bird field, and they rented one of the pop-up dogs and electronics from a pro for their GSPs to learn to honor. Thing was, if the shorthairs didn’t buy into the pop-up as a real dog when they came around a bend or draw and saw “go on point,” and immediately come to a staunch backing posture, it got blown off as just an odd piece of plywood that had landing standing up in a field. All three GSPs trusted their eyes and passed the reality test - and thus flunking their shot at honoring another dog on point. Shortly thereafter, as owner of a real white birddog, albeit one without the 12 o’clock tail or much tail a’tall, I got call asking for help at working out this honoring bidness...

MG

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Careful using it with pointing Labs, Pete - might get no-go’s😉. Or they might “dishonor” their secondary instincts, and go like a regular retriever’s supposed to...

About 20 years ago, some training partners from Jersey were getting ready for NAVHDA’s “Invitational,” where the dogs are braced in the same bird field, and they rented one of the pop-up dogs and electronics from a pro for their GSPs to learn to honor. Thing was, if the shorthairs didn’t buy into the pop-up as a real dog when they came around a bend or draw and saw “go on point,” and immediately come to a staunch backing posture, it got blown off as just an odd piece of plywood that had landing standing up in a field. All three GSPs trusted their eyes and passed the reality test - and thus flunking their shot at honoring another dog on point. Shortly thereafter, as owner of a real white birddog, albeit one without the 12 o’clock tail or much tail a’tall, I got call asking for help at working out this honoring bidness...

MG
Thanks Mike I get quite a few of the pointing labs in here. I have never had a PL stay long enough to use a pop up on them. I do have some HT pointers in here that were ready for it 8 months ago. Took 8 months on back order to get this dinosaur in here. I guess making pop up electronics are not considered necessary occupations .
Pete

·
Registered
193 Posts
Magee (maker of the Dewey Gunner) retired and sold his business to Steinman; Steinman doesn't list the Dewey Gunner on his product list.
Is someone else making them?
Hi, just to clarify, Lou Magee made components for the Dewey Gunner and was the distributer of the Dewey Gunner.
I am the designer, builder and maker of the Dewey Gunner.
The remaining Dewey Gunners are sold. Will there be a Gen 2 version.......TBD.
Sincerely,
Duane Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts