RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 month old pup has her first two JR passes, no problem with shot live flyers or picking up and retrieving dead birds. I wing clipped a live duck this week to get her familiar with cripples. She shows excellent prey drive but she pins the bird on the ground trying to squeeze the breath out of the bird. She picks the bird up on a repeated here command but stops and pins the bird on the ground when the bird struggles. After a few more here's she will deliver the bird to hand. How should I proceed-----just more repetitions or should I use pressure with the here command when she stops to pin the bird. Thanks Craig

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
You might try shackling the duck so it can't move as much. Take an old towel and rip off some strips. Tie the wings together at the base. Then tie the feet together. After a while she should get used to having a live bird in her mouth. After proficient at this remove shackles around feet but not wings. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
FF on hunting dogs should include forcing on live birds. Best and most thorough if done with smaller birds first and then larger. It's natural for a dog to get confused at this stage of training with live birds. If your thorough with forcing and then transition to training with live birds in the field before going hunting, you should have no problems.

Best of luck

·
Registered
506 Posts
i'm a little behind times here guy's, so help me out. Are there any video's out showing a big time pro forcing on game birds?
GG

·
Registered
469 Posts
What Wayne suggested would probably work.

I don't have anywhere to keep live birds so I had to FF my pup on live birds in the field on a training day. I handled it much like you would walking force fetch along with hold while walking. She is the first dog I've trained so I am far from being experienced, but what I did worked.

Hope that helps,

·
Registered
977 Posts
Not a pro, but I can tell you that with both of my dogs, we reached that point in training while working with a friend who is a pro. We would start with pigeons, feathers pulled from their wings. Toss the bird out and lots of encouragement, to the point where I felt like an idiot, but it was wild, fun, playtime. Get the puppy chasing the bird, grabbing the bird, carrying the bird, even it they carried it away instead of retrieving. Just get that bird in their mouth and run with it. After they are doing well on that, start encouraging a retrieve, with a long line if necessary. Then move to a small duck, feathers pulled on one wing and feet shackled. If the duck turns out to be a fighter, we might even tie the beak or put a sock over its head so the pup can enjoy picking them up and bringing them back. If that goes well, unshackle the feet: the chase is the most fun. Keep on in this fashion, step by step, until pup can handle a full sized bird with only wings clipped or pulled. You can gradually pull back on the crazy antics and encouragement until you're down to a more normal "good dog!!!" If you are lucky and careful, you can get through this phase with a couple of pigeons and a couple of ducks provided you have a place to keep them. Or, work with a training group or pro that has birds to work with. Kind of hard for an amateur owner who doesn't have a place to keep birds, but that's part of the game. I drive 90 minutes each way to get in this kind of training, but it's worth it.

At one of the junior tests for our current puppy, who was 11 months old at the time, the live flyer was barely even wounded and actually hunkered down and hid. She ran to the AOF and hunted it up (it had fallen in a small depression in sage brush, so she didn't see the exact spot where it fell from the line.) It raised up and fought her, flapping and hissing, and boy did I hold my breath, as this was more bird agression than we had ever trained on. She pounced on it, pinning it to the ground, and picked it up on the the back, right behind the neck. Coming back, that bird was flapping it's wings, kicking it's legs, and quacking like mad, but she never lost her grip and returned to heel with it (no junior grab!) We got a pat on the back from the judges and applause from the crowd, and the pics are hilarious. But I was really grateful that we had trained on live birds so thoroughly, it worked.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not a pro, but I can tell you that with both of my dogs, we reached that point in training while working with a friend who is a pro. We would start with pigeons, feathers pulled from their wings. Toss the bird out and lots of encouragement, to the point where I felt like an idiot, but it was wild, fun, playtime. Get the puppy chasing the bird, grabbing the bird, carrying the bird, even it they carried it away instead of retrieving. Just get that bird in their mouth and run with it. After they are doing well on that, start encouraging a retrieve, with a long line if necessary. Then move to a small duck, feathers pulled on one wing and feet shackled. If the duck turns out to be a fighter, we might even tie the beak or put a sock over its head so the pup can enjoy picking them up and bringing them back. If that goes well, unshackle the feet: the chase is the most fun. Keep on in this fashion, step by step, until pup can handle a full sized bird with only wings clipped or pulled. You can gradually pull back on the crazy antics and encouragement until you're down to a more normal "good dog!!!" If you are lucky and careful, you can get through this phase with a couple of pigeons and a couple of ducks provided you have a place to keep them. Or, work with a training group or pro that has birds to work with. Kind of hard for an amateur owner who doesn't have a place to keep birds, but that's part of the game. I drive 90 minutes each way to get in this kind of training, but it's worth it.

At one of the junior tests for our current puppy, who was 11 months old at the time, the live flyer was barely even wounded and actually hunkered down and hid. She ran to the AOF and hunted it up (it had fallen in a small depression in sage brush, so she didn't see the exact spot where it fell from the line.) It raised up and fought her, flapping and hissing, and boy did I hold my breath, as this was more bird agression than we had ever trained on. She pounced on it, pinning it to the ground, and picked it up on the the back, right behind the neck. Coming back, that bird was flapping it's wings, kicking it's legs, and quacking like mad, but she never lost her grip and returned to heel with it (no junior grab!) We got a pat on the back from the judges and applause from the crowd, and the pics are hilarious. But I was really grateful that we had trained on live birds so thoroughly, it worked.

View attachment 7833
GREAT PIC! looks like that duck is hollering "AFLAC"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts