RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently a member of Lake Charles Retriever Club but may be relocating to Atlanta, Ga for work. Are there any retriever clubs within reasonable driving distance to Atlanta? How is the duck hunting that way? Any at all?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Atlantic retriever club is the AKC club in the area. There are a few more AKC clubs in the southern part of the state as well. HRC has several around the state. Old South and North Georgia cover the Atlanta area. Midlands, SOWEGA, and Coastal Empire to the south. Where are you moving to? I ran my first test a few years at Lake Charles 20th anniversary hunt. I lived in Alexandria for a few years. Met some great dog people out there that really helped me along the way. As for duck hunting here, let's just say I go back to LA, AR, or MO for the bulk of my hunting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lawrenceville, Ga is the area I will be moving to. Any comments on that area? Crime, environment, land?
I'm just north of Gainesville which is about 30 miles from Lawrenceville. It's enough outside the city for crime to not be a huge issue. It is pretty suburban so you will probably have to go north a little to find any training grounds. Shoot me a pm when get out here. We have a good group of guys that train pretty regularly even if several of them do run swamp poodles.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
The AKC club is Atlanta Retriever Club. They have both a HT and a FT in the spring and fall. Grounds for tests/trials are near Madison, GA and near Newnan, GA.
The local duck hunting sucks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I grew up in Lawrenceville. I WONT live there anymore for a reason......hope you dont mind traffic. Oh, get your concealed carry permit as well. I live in Lavonia. About an hr north of Lawrenceville. My parents live in Gainesville. Both nice areas. Good luck finding training grounds anywhere close to Lawrenceville. The duck hunting is terrible. No, it is beyond terrible. The up-side is that there are several VERY active clubs in the Atlanta area and some really good training groups. Just depends on your flavor of venue. Look us up @ NGHRC.com when you get here, we'll try and point you in the right direction. Where in Lawrenceville are you looking at moving to?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyones input. Kind of disheartening to know that I possibly will be moving from a location where I have an immense amount of training grounds and great hunting at my fingertips to an area of not so much. I am going to make a visit to the area soon to make a final decision. Great opportunity for my career but I have to make sure it will be adequate for my lifestyle.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Old South HRC is in the Atlanta area. They have a wonderful club and very active members. They have some of the best dogs in the South.

·
Registered
958 Posts
yes. that is the one. if you are following your gps it prob wont show up. call me and ill guide you in.
i will. now i have to pick my kids up from school at 3. so ill have to leave now at 2. I'm gonna try and work something out to get a pick up but worse case scenario i have to leave at 2. don't yell at me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I run AKC and HRC Hunt Test. I was planning on running Senior at the end of April at our Lake Charles Test but my girl just came in heat Thursday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts