RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to check your retriever's hearing? My dog is 9 and has 8 seasons of shooting over him. Recently, he started not stopping on the whistle and sometimes when he's sleeping he doesn't hear me approach.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You can have your dog BAER tested. Do a search for a vet in your area, usually specialty or referral hospitals. Sometimes deafness can be caused by funky bacteria and CAN be cured, sometimes it is from gunfire or other and you are sol. I have a dog I bred who is gunned over ALOT and he is deaf and still a hunting machine.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Is there any way to check your retriever's hearing? My dog is 9 and has 8 seasons of shooting over him. Recently, he started not stopping on the whistle and sometimes when he's sleeping he doesn't hear me approach.
Loss of hearing in dogs that are hunted a lot on ducks is very common. It doesn't take many muzzle blasts even with the end of a shotgun barrel.

Short of going to a hearing expert for formal tests, I use a simple test.

Step 1. Thoroughly check ears for infection, wax build-up etc. If clear move on, if not treat!
Step 2. When dog awake but distracted call name or here and watch for response.
Step 3. When dog similarly distracted, rattle food bowl at same loudeness level.
Step 4. Compare 2 and 3 to distinguish listening and hearing.

Re field work, try different whistles-some frequencies will be heard better than others. I have also learned that hearing acuity can come and go in relation to shooting. At this time of year any hearing loss should be permanent but sometimes during season hearing loss may be temporary.

Speaks volumes for having a super steady dog!

PS. If your dog is deaf and hunts in a cover jungle, an investment in a GPS collar may say his life

1 - 3 of 3 Posts