RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been scanning through this site and i have found some threads like this one but haven't found a recent one so I'm hoping to get some updated info. So I just moved my wife and two little girls as well as myself to White Salmon, WA from Texas because of a job offer and hurricane Harvey. I was heavily into duck hunting back home and had the down payment on pup but couldn't get it because of the move. I'm looking to get a Labrador retriever puppy for a family companion but more so wanted to get it trained for hunting as well as hunt test. Last year was the first year I had been involved with hunt test events and am hoping to continue my participation here. So, my question is where are breeders with good pedigree dogs located as well as some good trainers that will help me get my dog to the level that it is capable of hunting and competing at?
Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
I have been scanning through this site and i have found some threads like this one but haven't found a recent one so I'm hoping to get some updated info. So I just moved my wife and two little girls as well as myself to White Salmon, WA from Texas because of a job offer and hurricane Harvey. I was heavily into duck hunting back home and had the down payment on pup but couldn't get it because of the move. I'm looking to get a Labrador retriever puppy for a family companion but more so wanted to get it trained for hunting as well as hunt test. Last year was the first year I had been involved with hunt test events and am hoping to continue my participation here. So, my question is where are breeders with good pedigree dogs located as well as some good trainers that will help me get my dog to the level that it is capable of hunting and competing at?
Thank you all for your help!
Good luck on your move! Save your down payment as you might need it to cope with the cost of living
in the Pac NW. It ain't cheap! The land of the millennials!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
As I understand it, the public posts aren't supposed to "advertise" breeders (maybe I'm wrong about that and if I am people here will correct me.) When you've made some more posts we can send you private messages and I might have a good suggestion for you.

I sure hope this move works out for you and your family. You're not alone. There will probably be quite a "Texas diaspora" due to the storm.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Lee Salmon Wind River Labs. Mike is doing field trials although I think they may have a pup left out of an outstanding breeding. No not my breeding although I am getting a pup.PM me for info.It's not advertising answering a question.

Jeff

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Lee Salmon Wind River Labs. Mike is doing field trials although I think they may have a pup left out of an outstanding breeding. No not my breeding although I am getting a pup.PM me for info.It's not advertising answering a question.

Jeff
Jeff, he can't PM, takes 10 posts!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Lee Salmon -Wind River Labs . She is in central WA, a couple hours north of Portland I think.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I you to live around there year ago in Cook, WA. I suggest contacting Doug Shade at Minnoggie Kennels as a place to start. Doug does mainly HT and gun dogs and if you're interested in FT he can put you in touch.
You will find it tough to find good places to train in the immediate vicinity but there used to be placesaround Trout Lake and The Dalles, Dallesport. Suggest joking the Oregon Hunting Retriever Club as well. Good luck. You have some good duck hunting to the East (about 1.5-2 hours).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Lots of trainers in that area. Andy Fontenot (Centralia, WA), Butch Higgins (Cathlamet, WA), Keith Hartley (Longview, WA), Tim Higgins (Longview, WA), and Doug Shade (Sauvie Island, Or). It would serve you well to contact these folks as well if your looking for a puppy. They all probably have a client with a breeding planned and can speak to the trainability of the pups etc.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Doug and Kim Shade Minnoggie Kennels on Sauvie Island Or. close to Portland Airport. Awesome hunt test trainer, and his wife Kim has a boarding kennel and they offer Lab and Golden pups from MH dams. They are very active in the Oregon Retriever Club and Master National events. http://www.minoggiekennels.com/

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Tim Higgins just did a nice breeding to Stryder, a local dog who will title soon. Look him up on facebook. Very nice guy who is near you and I believe the new club, skokumchuck retriever club he's in has some training days. Lee Salmon(female) is a training partner and fellow founder of the club. Lee is also on Facebook a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really appreciate all the help I will look into these trainers and see which one I like best. I am not so interested in field trials just yet, maybe further down the line, but hunt test/ gundog I am interested in. Since it is a ten post in order to PM my cell is 4092899818 if anyone would like to shoot me over some info that way I would appreciate it that way I can reply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts