RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone read or use this book? Looking for a good resource for marking drills and found this while searching online. Is it a good resource or is there a better one out there. I am currently following the fowl dawgs program so I don't necessarily need a whole program just looking to add some drills to the bag. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
The best reference book I have: BUILDING A RETRIEVER Drills & More by Carol Cassity

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
The best resource for retriever training beyond the program you follow is Retrievers ONLINE. It's a Quarterly publication produced by Dennis Voigt. Subscribe for the current year but also order prior year issues. There is an article index so you can pick a year that has several artices of interest to you.

http://www.retrieversonline.com/

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks that one looks pretty good. Anyone have any other suggestions of resources as a supplement to a full program?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Is there a particular step of fowl dogs that is giving you problems. I'd stay within the program or get a different program, but I wouldn't try to mix and match.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not problems It just does not dive to deep into marking drills and things. There are a couple marking drills in the new Fowl Dawgs 4 that I recently got I was just looking for more resources.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
The best resource for retriever training beyond the program you follow is Retrievers ONLINE. It's a Quarterly publication produced by Dennis Voigt. Subscribe for the current year but also order prior year issues. There is an article index so you can pick a year that has several artices of interest to you.

http://www.retrieversonline.com/
Agree!! There are some good things in his book, but this magazine has more bang for your buck. IMO

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I should explain it better. I'm almost through the fowl dawgs program and am looking ahead for resources for more advanced work. I'm gather Retrievers Online is best for this?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I guess I should explain it better. I'm almost through the fowl dawgs program and am looking ahead for resources for more advanced work. I'm gather Retrievers Online is best for this?
Yes, RO has articles on building every sort of marking set up you can imagine. More importantly, you will learn guidelines on how to set up effective marking tests (training setups). One thing that springs to mind is that you don't want to throw a short mark with a longer visable gun behind it. It will teach the dog to ignore the long gun which is detrimental in a trial.
Some other topics like when to handle in training vs. when to handle in a trial/test; when/how to apply a correction. Also a good dose of troubleshooting articles.
This is whAt your looking for.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I thinks Spencer's book is OK. Carol Cassity's book is great for drills. If you are looking for material to aid you in advanced set-ups, I highly recommend the "blue book" aka Retriever Field Trial Judging...A Manual offered on theretrievernews.com store. http://www.theretrievernews.com/Store
This book diagrams land and water set ups.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am also using the fowl dawgs...and I bought the retriever training drills by James Spencer. Glad I only paid 12 dollars for it because it wasn't really what I was expecting.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Is there a particular step of fowl dogs that is giving you problems. I'd stay within the program or get a different program, but I wouldn't try to mix and match.
I don't think the OP was talking about having a problem with "Fowl Dawgs" -- just looking for some additional marking drills. Rick uses many drills and setups that are not in the first three volumes of FD -- a fourth volume will be out before long.

I know for a fact that Rick uses a lot of marking drills/setups that come from Dennis Voight's "Retrievers ONLINE."

Spencer's book has lots of drills for initiallly teaching a concept.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I don't think the OP was talking about having a problem with "Fowl Dawgs" -- just looking for some additional marking drills. Rick uses many drills and setups that are not in the first three volumes of FD -- a fourth volume will be out before long.

I know for a fact that Rick uses a lot of marking drills/setups that come from Dennis Voigt's "Retrievers ONLINE."

Spencer's book has lots of drills for initiallly teaching a concept.
Hey George! Thanks.

Fowl Dawg 4 is now out and I have a review of it in the Spring issue of ONLINE (at the printer now!). I gave it 5 stars. The selection of drills and set-ups cover many bases. The video is very good value.

And yes, Rick even includes one of my favorite drills and acknowledges it's source. I think viewers will find the Stawski/Retrievers ONLINE/Lardy material very compatible.

PS. George can be seen chucking a bird in Fowl Dawg 4!! Almost as good as he claims to double-haul a fly-line!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
throwing marks

Anyone read or use this book? Looking for a good resource for marking drills and found this while searching online. Is it a good resource or is there a better one out there. I am currently following the fowl dawgs program so I don't necessarily need a whole program just looking to add some drills to the bag. Thanks
There is only 3 ways ( directions) to throw a double..In,out and same direction,(right or left)...The rest of the set up is based on the distance apart they are, the distance they are from the line and wind direction...A triple is just another bird that interacts with the double in some form or fashion...Steve S

1 - 17 of 17 Posts