RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to both dog training and the RTF. I have recently purchased a golden from TopBrass and am anxiously waiting her arrival! After doing a little research I think a good place to start with the training would be watching Bill Hillman's "Training a retriever puppy" and/or Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginnings". Was wanting feedback on these two videos and also hoping I could find a used copy to either purchase or borrow from someone? Thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I can only speak to Bill Hillman's new video. I "highly" recommend it! Just completed watching the new revised edition, which is over 5 hours long on two DVDs. It's pricey but worth every penny. And I've only heard great things about Sound Beginnings. Looks like you're off to a great start. Welcome to RTF and the addiction of retriever games!

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I started with Jackie Mertens, transitioned to Hillman and then on to Lardy. I did not finish Hillman before moving on to Lardy. I really like the traffic cop part of Hillman but I went the more traditional route for ff, cc, etc as I had done it a bunch.

There are some videos on rtf of me and Rowdy (by Pirate) doing Mertens and Hillman drills. Do an advanced s
search under my name if you are interested.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jake

I have done the basics training on 4 competition labs. On my most recent pup, I used Hillman's "Training a Retriever Puppy." The results have been fantastic.

I used his most recent "revised" version. It goes much deeper by using three pups and showing different personalities and their progression.

I am going to post this Hillman DVD and Manual on RTF tomorrow. If you want it I will ship it to you for $125 - including shipping. My email is [email protected] and my cell is (770) 789-1999.

You should be excited about your new TopBrass pup. Welcome to RTF!

Wayne

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just ordered Hilman's video last week. Waiting for it to show up. Wish I would have known you were selling. I would have got it from you and saved $25. Looking forward to watching it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts