RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to thinking about retrievers and movies with the thread on dog's names from the movies -- I could think of two old movies where retrievers are portrayed -- I can think of an old Mickey Rooney movie about a couple of Navy sailors with a duck that lays golden eggs (can't remember title) -- in it the duck is retrieved by a hunter and dog (who I believe were Cotton Pershall and King Buck) --I can also think of the original Incredible Journey where the Lab is used to retrieve ducks -- so was wondering what other similar movies (other than training or hunting videos) other RTFers can think of

·
Registered
844 Posts
Can't think of a retriever movie, but I love "The Biscuit Eater" - the 1940s original. It's bird dogs, though.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
msdaisey said:
Can't think of a retriever movie, but I love "The Biscuit Eater" - the 1940s original. It's bird dogs, though.
Sondra, wasn't Newt in the original b&w? They all sorta sounded like him, anyhow.

"Darling" with Julie Christie has a couple of cool versatile dogs that retrieve that belong to an Italian count, and I'd bet "The Queen" with Helen Mirren shows Lilibet cuddling with her Labs. And of course, "Air Bud" is far too realistic for any cineaste to consider a retriever movie.

MG

·
Registered
471 Posts
... That was one handsome YL!
Peake
PS The updated version had a Golden in it.
That's like going form "Gunfight at the OK corral" to "Brokeback Mountain".

That's like one of the greatest movies in the whole unitedstatesworldofameria, "Shane" (played by Alan Ladd) being remade and called "Shayne" (played by PeeWee Herman)! What a crock! :lol: :cry: :cry:

Movie critiqueing regards,
Arturo

·
Registered
318 Posts
TroyW said:
I thought old yeller was a cur of some sort, black mouth or mountain?
Troy
Its been awhile, but i always thought he was a yella lab??????

According to the song in the movie - 'he was a mongrel', but he looks like he has got some lab qualities?

BTW his real name was Spike

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Joe Dirt.... Remember Brandy's dog??

·
Registered
70 Posts
msdaisey said:
This is a fantastic movie. For those who haven't seen it, you need to go rent it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Cujo's stunt double was a Lab in costume :lol: No Lie.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Are you all crazy?!?! :shock:

All these posts and no one yet has mentioned Far From Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog which came out as recently as 1995, and is the BEST retriever movie EVER!!!

Click on the title and see.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But does any one know of name of movie that had King Buck and Cotton Pearshall in it ?????

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The movie was "Everything's Ducky". This 1961 fantasy-comedy starred Mickey Rooney as Beetle McKay and Buddy Hackett as Admiral John Paul Jones, "two wacky sailors who make friends with a talking duck, a verbose avian who possesses a secret formula. It seemsthis formula is needed by the Navy satellite program and so the talky mallard is worth quite a bit. But in the meantime, the duck is hooked on booze and is a failure at taking to water or even sounding like a normal duck. So the sailors have their work cut out for them as the deadline for launching the satellite approaches." (from New York Times file on old Mickey Rooney films) It is the duck hunting scene that King Buck and Cotton Pershall appear. Sorry I had it wrong -- duck doesn't lay gold eggs -- but obviously a "golden" bird.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
msdaisey said:
This is one of my all time favorites!! :D

"Is he a Yankee or a gentleman?" regards,

Andy

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"The Biscuit Eater" was a great movie -- I remember reading the short story as a kid too -- powerful stuff -- loved Big Red too -- maybe somebody should make a movie about RTF -- certainly enough "characters" here

1 - 20 of 20 Posts