RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but is uninterested away.

I have a 21month old that will retrieve all day in the yard, but when I take him an open field he runs to it and is uninterested, he might retrieve it or he might not. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
5,025 Posts

I have a 21month old that will retrieve all day in the yard, but when I take him an open field he runs to it and is uninterested, he might retrieve it or he might not. Any ideas? Thanks
Yes...
Even if you have a 2 acre yard stop all training there and use it for pee and poop only..
In the field you must have a thrower / birdboy throwing all marks and with knowledge enough to help or not help the dog as the situation dictates. No throwing marks by yourself ever with dog at your side.
Start with that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes...
Even if you have a 2 acre yard stop all training there and use it for pee and poop only..
In the field you must have a thrower / birdboy throwing all marks and with knowledge enough to help or not help the dog as the situation dictates. No throwing marks by yourself ever with dog at your side.
Start with that.
Why? Is this advice only for dogs that are uninterested in retrieving in the field, or any dog?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Comfort zone in the yard...In a different area there is a lot of unknown to explore. Let the dog romp around in the new area and explore with your supervision. Then think about training a different day in the same area with maybe a duck wing duc taped to the bumper. Take small simple steps.....to achieve.........

PS...We are doing basics in training.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Why? Is this advice only for dogs that are uninterested in retrieving in the field, or any dog?
Once your past the baby puppy stage the handler will rarely throw a bumper or bird. Examples where you would are when you need to flip a bird out to your side to allow a gun to quickly retire or when teaching a dog a memory mark.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Any dog except small puppy. Otherwise they get used to running out and stopping as far as you can throw and they aren't taught to look out for guns. IMHO this is a mistake novices and you will not advance. I agree with the yard being a comfort zone. Always go to a different area to retrieve, and use a different area for obedience and retrieves.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I start ob in my back yard then move to other areas like front yard, playgrounds, neightbors yard, kennel grounds, etc. But I use my backyard for teaching force hold, force fetch, three handed casting, FTP and eight handed casting. All of Hank (by Pirate) videos of drills are in my back yard. T and Wagon Wheel are at different places (neighbors yard and playground) as they require more space.
But beyond puppy stage I go to other places for marks and blinds.
I agree with not throwing from the side. Two bad things happen. Like mentioned above they will go only the distance you can throw and start hunting. The second bad thing is that they will start looking up at you rather than out in the field. I think the same applies to using the Retriever-R-Trainer.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

The dog probably needs some obedience training.

At the very least, I'd give him the HERE command so he returns to you.

Some folks will also teach their dogs the FETCH command so their dog picks the item up and brings it back. That's a little more complicated, but it is possible to teach.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would stop throwing marks all together for a few days. Then take him back out to the field. Let him run around and get all of his sniffing peeing pooping and other distractions out of the way. Then watch his reaction when that bumper comes out of the truck. If I see that all of his focus is on that bumper I would throw 3 or 4 and then shut it down for the day. Hope that gives you another idea.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I got a pup at 9 months old that would not retrieve bumpers in the field. She was birdy, and butterflyee, and bee-ee, etc. as she would run to the bumper and then take off chasing anything else that moved. Patience and teasing with the bumper would get an occasional retrieve. Putting her on shackled pigeons and ducks got enthusiastic retrieves in the field. We shot chukar fliers for two weekends in a row for my big dogs. We had her retrieve three fresh killed chukars at about 50 yards in moderate cover as walking singles the first weekend. We had her retrieve three fresh killed chukars the 2nd weekend with the third retrieve at about 200 yards. She showed great enthusiasm for all retrieves.
This Saturday we shot mallard fliers on water for the big dogs. We threw fresh dead mallards on the water. This was her first water retrieve of a gunner thrown mark. 1st bird had a 40 yard square entry 10 yd swim the cross a peninsula and re-entry. She went without hesitation. Next was a 50 yd square entry and 25 yd. swim. Went again with great enthusiasm. Next we shot a live flier in open water and ran from the edge of the pond with a 60 yard swim. She smacked it.

Sunday she got a fresh dead mallard on land at 100 yards, then a nasty dead mallard at 150 yards (fed the line on this as it was somewhat close to a flier station but probably didn't need to). Third bird was a shot flier, cripple, at 150 yards and she pinned it.

All retrieves we're to hand, including the long water entries, except she spit out the nasty duck at my feet on her land retrieve.

I did Hillman's puppy method for the most part in my back yard as best I could because it is the only place I could reliably get her to retrieve a bumper. Lady's system seams most appropriate for this dog. I have started formal obedience, and am on day 4 of FF ( we had hold down from the Hillman work), and is retrieving reliably from the ground. We start walking fetch this evening.

Be patient. Hillman says something like "they all have it in them, it's up to us to bring it out". I was beginning to wonder about this pup. She is 11 months old this week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts