RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and figured that this would be the place to help with my problem. I recently bought a year old black lab female. I was told when I bought her that she had basic obidience and would play fetch. Long story short I am starting from square one. She now knows her basics but will not fetch. I have done everything I can think of only to get her to do 1-2 short 4ft retrieves. I have tried to amp her up about it by not working on fetch for a couple of days then trying again with no advancment. What can I do to turn her into a fetching freak?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tossed tennis balls, bumpers, and pigeons with clipped wings. This is my first dog to train and I dnt have the funds to send her to a trainer.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Find out what the previous owner did with the dog.

Also, there is more than one way to address a problem. Find a training group that may be able to help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am tossing in the yard and field. I have not introduced her to water yet. The people I got her from said she loves water but I am not sure since she hasn't done anything they said she would. I have a friend that has a dog with one season under him but that is it.

G

·
When you say recently,do you mean a couple weeks or a couple months?
Maybe she is just unfamiliar with you and hesitant about everything still. Your way of playing could be way different then the way she was use to playing. If she ever fetched at all.
You mentioned working on retrieving,I may be taking this the wrong way but i would not be working but playing. Get her to enjoy it with no pressure or expectations yet. Praise her when she does good and let her run around with it if she wants. Build a bond with your dog. Let her know your the fun guy that always plays nice and gives out treats for a good job.

Work can come later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with rooster... Play to build your bond and if she has the desire to retrieve like the people you bought her from said she does you should start your work from there.. Desire to retrieve has got to come first... Contacting the first owners is also a very good idea...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The previous owners had her in a small kennel and only let her out to stretch her legs. I have had her for two months now as a bought her at the end of duck season here in Oklahoma. I play with her with a bumper trying to get her to chase it which she will even when I toss it but she rarely picks it up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She should have some type of drive as her father is Urbanduckman's whack-a-quack ike but I am unfamilar with her dam Norlin's Candy.

G

·
The previous owners had her in a small kennel and only let her out to stretch her legs. I have had her for two months now as a bought her at the end of duck season here in Oklahoma. I play with her with a bumper trying to get her to chase it which she will even when I toss it but she rarely picks it up.
When she does pick it up is your moment to SHINE! BE READY!
Make a huge deal out of it, like she just invented the wheel.
Soon she will draw the connection of what it takes to please you and get some lovin and a treat!
Eventually the reward is the retrieve.

G

·
When you do praise her i want your neighbors to think you finally lost your mind if they look out the window and see you!

The treats always worked for me. I always thought the fastest way to a dogs brain is through his/her belly when teaching new concepts. Once the connection is made you can phase out the treats.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay thanks. Do I work with it all the time, once a day, every other day or treat it as a part of her regular training?

G

·
Don't force her to do anything. And don't play with her if you had a bad day a work and are just trying to get some time in. Have a positive attitude during training and the dog will too.
Always leave the dog wanting more,don't over do it.
Try to end every session on a positive note.

GOOD LUCK and WELCOME!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I am new here and figured that this would be the place to help with my problem. I recently bought a year old black lab female. I was told when I bought her that she had basic obidience and would play fetch. Long story short I am starting from square one. She now knows her basics but will not fetch. I have done everything I can think of only to get her to do 1-2 short 4ft retrieves. I have tried to amp her up about it by not working on fetch for a couple of days then trying again with no advancment. What can I do to turn her into a fetching freak?
The sad reality is that there may not be anything you can do. Why did the guy sell a one year old dog? It likely wasn't because she was a great retriever. If you are looking for a family pet and want to continue working with her, that is fine as long as you understand that this pup may not turn out as a hunting or competitive retriever and six months from now youll be right where you are now. If you want a great hunting or competition dog, You may want to find this girl a good home and start over I'm struggling with an 8 month old now that was apparently left to her own devices until 6 months old. Very well bred out of an NAFC and well socialized but absolutely not interested in retrieving. I'm giving this pup a go but certainly wouldn't buy this pup as a potential hunting/comp dog right now. She is a fantastic dog around the house though and the light may come on. I hope for the best, but am prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The people I bought her from got her for a hunting dog and started working with her til she was 6 months then the guy that owned her got married and left her at his parents so they sold her after she sat their for another six months. She is great with my kids and a very plesant house dog so hopefully it will work out.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I've had a friend of a friends dog trying to help him get her going but after about 2 months it was the same way nice dog but had no interest in retrieving tried everything but got know where if any thing we regressed,preatty much gave up, then was playing catch with my son and she chased the ball. ;)
A very dim light came on in my head and after a couple days I realized that I was expecting to much and not always caring a positive attitude to the field with her because of the previous sessions. When I lost any expectations of her she showed a little desire and now we are taking BABY steps.
this dog like yours has decent obedience and when I let her get a little sloppy with that it wasnt always on her mind to be good but instead to have a little fun.

My point- I lowered my expectations of her and she relaxed and seen the fun in it and now its easier to get positive training in for both of us. Like said earlier don't try to train after a bad day at work or things on your mind its better to not train on those days then try to force the ( fun) .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took her in the yard with me tonight with the kids, a tennis ball, and a bumper. Played for about 15-20 minutes teasing her with the bumper letting her chase it while I drug it around then got four solid good retrieves from her between me and the kids throwing the bumper and ball. Right as she was getting real excited I noticed that something distracted her on a pickup so I made it the last one and put everything up while the kids played with her some more. Good advise= good baby steps. Thanks folks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts