RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all. I have a question. Do folks ever go hunting with guides, and bring there own dogs? I have never hunted with a guide, but I realize that the duck hunting in the mountains of NC is sub-par, and that I need to travel to get to good hunting. If I want real good hunting, the best bang for my time, and buck, would be to hook up with a guide.

I have found that I almost enjoy watching my dog retrieve more than actually shooting the ducks. Would it be out of the ordinary to just go with a guide to retrieve with my dog? I've gone to tower hunts, and just retrieved with the dog. The club was more than happy to have a dog that would retrieve for them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Hey Y'all. I have a question. Do folks ever go hunting with guides, and bring there own dogs? I have never hunted with a guide, but I realize that the duck hunting in the mountains of NC is sub-par, and that I need to travel to get to good hunting. If I want real good hunting, the best bang for my time, and buck, would be to hook up with a guide.

I have found that I almost enjoy watching my dog retrieve more than actually shooting the ducks. Would it be out of the ordinary to just go with a guide to retrieve with my dog? I've gone to tower hunts, and just retrieved with the dog. The club was more than happy to have a dog that would retrieve for them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Most of the time the guides would like you to keep dog home. If you know the guide and the guide knows your dog, then maybe. Guides have paid customers and they(Guides) want to be sure that everthing is perfect in so many words for the customer.

My penny worth.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
guides and dogs

The man I have trained for tells stories where clients bring dogs that can't do the complete job and it just causes problems ...Ask to be sure....The tower shoots I have been to are a lot different than hunting....Steve S

·
Registered
127 Posts
It depends on the situation. If you (your group) are the only ones being guided you have a better chance of them allowing your dog. If you are part of a larger collection of random people most likely they will ask you to keep your dog at home.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Every Chance I get my dog goes with me. He has been to all our Swan hunts 3, and as for guided ducks and geese, I have only went on two and he went with me both times.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Usually an outfitter will state the retriever policy in their literature, website, advertisement, etc. Something like, "Your well trained retriever is welcome," or, "All of our guides have retrievers, but will be happy to leave them in the truck so that your dog can work." Guiding is highly competitive, you will not have a problem finding a guide or outfitter who is more than happy to accommodate your dog.

Make sure that you ask about the style of duck or goose hunting you'll be doing so that you and your dog can be prepared. For instance, hunting out of a boat blind, a ground blind, a pit blind, or flooded timber all place different demands on the dog during the hunt.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts