RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a remote bird launcher to throw marks with birds for my one year old lab, however I also want to be able to use it for bumpers too since I only have a limited number of birds. My issue is when ever I use a bumper instead of the bird, my dog will run to the mark but not pick up the bumper and continue to hunt around the area for a bird. The retrieves are between 40 and 80 yards on short grass mainly and he is force fetched.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions on how to get him to retrieve the bumpers from the bird launcher?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
It's unfair to ask a young pup to retrieve a bumper after having retrieved a bird. As the dog gains experience this will not matter and I routinely throw a mixed bag of ducks and bumpers.

And if you are not throwing the bumper after or in the same area as birds, your dog is not adequately FFd if he goes to, but won't pick up the bumper.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Is this the only remote retrieves he has had (one bird launcher using ducks) previous to the refusal?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Fetch, Nick, Fetch

·
Registered
806 Posts
Lots of young dogs are bird snobs when it comes to mixed bags. I agree with Breck, just another opportunity for correction. I like to force to a mixed pile of birds and bumpers in the yard to prevent this.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I recently purchased a remote bird launcher to throw marks with birds for my one year old lab, however I also want to be able to use it for bumpers too since I only have a limited number of birds. My issue is when ever I use a bumper instead of the bird, my dog will run to the mark but not pick up the bumper and continue to hunt around the area for a bird. The retrieves are between 40 and 80 yards on short grass mainly and he is force fetched.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions on how to get him to retrieve the bumpers from the bird launcher?

Thanks
Sounds like you have a hole in your training. :)
My penny worth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this the only remote retrieves he has had (one bird launcher using ducks) previous to the refusal?
No, I have two remote launchers. One is a dummy launcher and the other is a bird launcher. He has no issues with retrieves on the dummy launcher. From the replies it sounds like I may be being a little unfair since the majority of the bumper marks with the bird launcher were in the same area as where the bird marks were or bumpers were used in the launcher after the use of a bird, therefore he is expecting and looking for a bird. I will try not mixing the bumpers and birds moving forward and work on some pile work with both birds and bumpers mixed.

Many thanks for the replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts