RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine's dog just suffered a stomach torsion and came very close to dying. Incredibly, they were able to get the dog to a vet and save its life!

Will this dog ever be what it once was competitively?

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
My bitch, Buffy (Freeridin Vampire Slayer) got torsion in November 2005. Almost died, but had surgery to tack down her stomach. Began training in December 2005, Jammed two Opens in February 2006. If anything, she is running stronger after surgery.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Ted Shih said:
My bitch, Buffy (Freeridin Vampire Slayer) got torsion in November 2005. Almost died, but had surgery to tack down her stomach. Began training in December 2005, Jammed two Opens in February 2006. If anything, she is running stronger after surgery.

That is great news, Ted. Having tall rangy labs, torsion has always been one of my largest fears. It's good to know they can be saved, and recovered whole again.

I'm curious. Is there ever a time in my tall dog's life when I can STOP being concerned about this happening? A certain age?

Also, is it caused mostly by 'when' the dog is fed, rather than by 'how' the dog eats?

Hope Ed and some of the other vets read this and reply. Thanks.

UB

·
Registered
691 Posts
Uncle Bill said:
Also, is it caused mostly by 'when' the dog is fed, rather than by 'how' the dog eats?

UB
You mention "when" as opposed to "how". It's my understanding that it has to do with exercising the dog too soon after eating? Is that correct? How soon is too soon?

Also, is it only a problem feed after exercise? Any problems with feeding them too soon after exercise?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
It's my understanding that you shouldn't feed right AFTER exercising either.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I had a 13 year old male die and I knew a 5 year old male that died from Tort, so I do not think there is any age you can not worry or at least have it on your mind. Both dogs were had big chests.

I had a female, about 6 yrs old that bloated, no Tort. Very Lucky as we were out in the middle of no where on a Sunday afternoon.

I understand that the surgery to tack the stomach to prevent the torsion (although not the bloat) is relatively non-invasive. Tempting.

Kris
Blacktail Labradors

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
According to the vets with whom I spoke, torsion is more likely to occur in dogs with deep chest cavities.

To minimize risk, you can feed twice a day with smaller portions each feeding. But, this runs afoul of the need to let food digest for at least three hours before running your dog.

There is also the surgery that Kris mentioned - which is what the docs did with Buffy after they got her stomach untwisted - and costs about $1000.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Recently there has been research which chllenges some of the traditional thinking on reasons for torsion -think it is Purdue University who have been doing the research - well worth a look - sorry can't remember the website.

·
Registered
96 Posts
[/quote] You mention "when" as opposed to "how". It's my understanding that it has to do with exercising the dog too soon after eating? Is that correct? How soon is too soon?Also, is it only a problem feed after exercise? Any problems with feeding them too soon after exercise?
Thanks![/quote]

Scout's happened first thing in the morning. She hopped off my bed, trotted out to potty, trotted back in to eat. I got in the shower and by the time I was out she was in trouble. At that point she was already getting fed 2x a day. So basically I think it can happen at any time.

Just be sure you know the early warning signs. For her all it was - was lots of full length body stretches and not settling down. Off to the EV where the vet on call at the time doubted that she was in bloat, but asked if I wanted an X-ray and I said Yes please. She soon came back out saying I was right :( The vet I know and trust then came in and took over Scout's care.

I now feed 3x a day, her stomach is tacked and luckily so far I have never had another incident.

mary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts