RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several state that their facilities "were designed by" or "are an exact replica" of Rex Carr's personal grounds. Just curious what the design entails. Anyone have any info or pictures? More curious then anything else...

·
Registered
5,248 Posts

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
I have the diagrams that Bill Schrader (giving to Bill by Mr Carr)let me use to copy. They are crazy how everything is detailed, I mean everything! We are building the Soupy pond this Fall.

Lyle
Soupy's Pond was built after Super Chief won his first National. Auggie Belmont gave Rex a 6 wheeled amphibious vehicle but Rex told Auggie he would rather have a new training pond. Rex designed and laid out the pond which was built with a bulldozer in minimum time. Soupy's Pond was Judy's favorite, lots of places to throw from point to point or point to island. Some great dogs were trained there.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
It's important to note that CL2 was not a single pond or lake, but rather a series of ponds connected by locks. He could drain any one of them to clean things up, or to alter them. Refilling was made easy by having located the water directly downhill from an irrigated dairy farm pasture, so he got all the run-off. Smart guy!

Evan

·
Registered
506 Posts
Rex's innovatiave ideas were also evident in the pond he designed for Ken Cory on his property near Sacramento. Although, this pond was withing five miles of the original Reibar kennels and we trained there on a daily basis, i have no pictures of that pond. Was wondering if anyone a little more creative than myself perhaps would have one. if so, please post it on the site.
GG

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
David Crow who was also one of Rex's clients had his engineers try and recreate CL2 at his property in Louisiana

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
David Crow who was also one of Rex's clients had his engineers try and recreate CL2 at his property in Louisiana
I'm relatively certain the Crows never had dogs with Rex, John Honore was their trainer. Their property in Shreveport was nice but nothing like CL-2. Farmer recreated the ponds at his place in Huntsville (sold several years ago when he moved to Anderson) using aerial photographs as a blueprint. Scott Carruth used Farmer's plans to build the ponds at Pin Oak in Ravenna TX.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
I'm relatively certain the Crows never had dogs with Rex, John Honore was their trainer. Their property in Shreveport was nice but nothing like CL-2. Farmer recreated the ponds at his place in Huntsville (sold several years ago when he moved to Anderson) using aerial photographs as a blueprint. Scott Carruth used Farmer's plans to build the ponds at Pin Oak in Ravenna TX.
I am just going off what Mr Crow told Clint and I...he was always nice to me , but never did get an invite to the Shreveport property , he and Clint had a very unique friendship, he always seemed to take an interest in Clint and obviously when he offered to buy Judge...

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
I am just going off what Mr Crow told Clint and I...he was always nice to me , but never did get an invite to the Shreveport property , he and Clint had a very unique friendship, he always seemed to take an interest in Clint and obviously when he offered to buy Judge...
Then he undoubtedly had dogs with Rex but that predated me and my knowledge of their dogs.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Does anyone know what became of the Shreveport property?
Dave and Sissy Stone ran a boarding kennel there for a number of years but I believe the property was sold years ago. It is in an industrial area on the west side of town south of IH 20.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Dave and Sissy Stone ran a boarding kennel there for a number of years but I believe the property was sold years ago. It is in an industrial area on the west side of town south of IH 20.
I'm in the Shreveport/Bossier club and never heard anyone mention it. It must have been filled in or otherwise eliminated. I would assume we would be trying to get access if it still existed.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
I'm in the Shreveport/Bossier club and never heard anyone mention it. It must have been filled in or otherwise eliminated. I would assume we would be trying to get access if it still existed.
I would expect that the ponds have either been filled in or would be so overgrown with trees as to be unusuable for dog training.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Charles, I think I found the ponds Dr Ed mentioned. You guys in Shreveport don't know about them? Still looks usable for training but may need some work.
. Aerial photography Property Land lot Terrain Photography

·
Registered
884 Posts
Were there any manuals made showing diagrams of how Rex used CL2. I've heard stories a new line was set every 9 steps. Sure would like to gain insight on how the master used his great waterways.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's important to note that CL2 was not a single pond or lake, but rather a series of ponds connected by locks. He could drain any one of them to clean things up, or to alter them. Refilling was made easy by having located the water directly downhill from an irrigated dairy farm pasture, so he got all the run-off. Smart guy!

Evan
WOW!That is a pond!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Can someone post the address of Rex's water (so I can see it on Google Earth), please?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts