RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 6 month old lab puppy and I'm thinking about sending her to Right Start Kennel with Jim Van Engen. I have contacted Mike Lardy and he said I should go to him or Rick Stawski with Fine line retrievers . If you could post any reviews or opinions on Right Start Kennel that would help me out a lot or any other training facilities that you think is good for young dog training. Wondering if you guys think if he would be a good fit. I want to train her in Waterfowl/Hunt Tests. Thx!:)

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
No offence intended but it is unlikely you will be able to place your puppy with Jim VanE. Ain't gonna happen.
Also, if trying to place puppy with one of the better pros you would have been wise to make arrangements well before puppy was 6 months old which is age most start school.
There are a number of good young dog trainers out there but you will need to find one that has an open spot now.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
FC AFC World Famous Rosa Barks - National Am Finalist

AFC World Famous Emasculator She Male- National Am Finalist

World Famous Mr Friendly - Derby List, Qualifying wins, despite having only one eye and no tail

AFC Candlewood's She's So Fine

All were started by the Van Engen's before being trained by owner/handler Lanse Brown

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Here are other good trainers to put on your call list.
Tim Milligan
Glen Curtis
Tim Springer
Jason Baker
Marc Patton
Ryan Brasseaux
Brad Arlington
Good luck

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Here are other good trainers to put on your call list.
Tim Milligan
Glen Curtis
Tim Springer
Jason Baker
Marc Patton
Ryan Brasseaux
Brad Arlington
Good luck
there's a great name for a kennel. :) haha!

·
Registered
543 Posts
As far as a review I can give you one. Jim and his crew are top notch all the way. I have the pleasure of running against them on the WI circuit!! They get the top line breeding with owners that have AA aspirations. Jim's assistant, Craig, usually runs the derby dogs. Craig is also a great young dog trainer. I have seen in the third or fourth series where Craig has picked up a dog if it was going to cheat water. Their goals are long term and they are not trying to chase derby points. If you are lucky enough to get your dog in my guess is you will be very impressed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Went to a Van Engen seminar last summer. The way Jim put it was you reserve a spot with him then go looking for a pup (He's booked out that far)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Took me a year to get a dog on JVE's truck. As others have stated, Craig Crook, Jim's assistant is top notch, works his a$$ off.
You might try Rick Stawski, i think he runs hunt tests, but he may be booked as well. Both are now down in south Ga. for their winter trips.

Good Luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your advice. I called up Jim and he said he could get my dog in approximately the middle of April when he gets back from winter training in Georgia. I also called Rick at fine line and he said he could take her in April as well. My Puppy will be around 9 months old. Like I said before she will be hunting waterfowl the most and running hunt tests. What do you thinks a better fit?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Neither....you need to find someone closer so you can learn also.....you want to send your dog to NASA and you don't need that. If your dog doesn't fit their program your dog is out the door..find someone local to you and learn how to run your dog....Randy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks everyone for your advice. I called up Jim and he said he could get my dog in approximately the middle of April when he gets back from winter training in Georgia. I also called Rick at fine line and he said he could take her in April as well. My Puppy will be around 9 months old. Like I said before she will be hunting waterfowl the most and running hunt tests. What do you thinks a better fit?

Stawski is like an hour away from you in Milaca. If you want to be trained along with your dog, it seems like an easy decision.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Hunting and hunt tests? You clearly don't need anyone of that caliber to make a MH. You might want it, but you definitely don't need it. I'm surprised with those goals they will even take the dog.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks very much, Breck! Pretty much verified my info. I appreciate the help. First time with a dog that has serious game. I want him to get the right start.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Add Ed and Jackie Thibodeaux to your list of good young dog trainers. LA. in the winter. MN.in the summer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts