RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Flyway's October Pardner MH
(April 10, 1999-May 26, 2012)

Our beloved Opie is gone. He may have been the last living Pardner grandson. He died today in Don's arms at age 13.

We bred him, we whelped him, we chose to keep him. Opie and his mother were Don's introduction in 1999 to training a dog for hunt tests. Opie went through the entire program with Don -- JH, SH, MH. Opie obtained his MH title when he was 22 months old. Don and he then tried field trials. Opie became QAA, then he started to run all breed Amateur stakes obtaining a few Open and Amateur points.

At the 2004 GRCA Specialty he was 2nd in the Amateur and 3rd in the Open. We did not know it, but he ran the GRCA trial in pain. By Sunday night, he could not walk. A CT scan showed he had twisted and injured his spine probably during a tumble. His surgeon said the laminectomy might not be successful and he might not walk again. Opie had the spine surgery. It was only 50% successful. He recovered at home, but he did walk again. 7 months later he was back into light training. The surgeon was amazed.

Opie had heart. He ran his last Amateur 10 months after his surgery. He did OK (got a 4th place in the Am) but we could tell running, jumping, and swimming in trials was painful. While he had the desire and the heart, he did not have the stamina. It was the last trial he was to run; we retired him. He was 5 1/2 years old.

We knew this day would come some time; he died in Don's arms today.

Our hearts are broken
RIP our beloved Opie.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Helen, I am saddened to hear of your's and Don's loss...sounded like one very special companion..always love to hear about a dog with heart, because its something that never shows on a pedigree or in a title

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I am so very sorry for your heartbreak. Run free sweet Opie.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I am sorry Helen. Cherish the memories - may they give you both comfort.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Our sincere condolences in the loss of your sweet Opie. We know he will be missed terribly, but the pain will be replaced by all the fond memories of times you shared with him.

Gregg and Arleen

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Helen & Don I am so very sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. RIP Opie

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
So sorry for your loss.

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Opie. I know there was so much love given to him by you and Don and he returned that love to both of you.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Condolences to you and Don for the loss of your beloved Opie.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
So sorry Helen and Don. What a life he lead you into! RIP Opie.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
13 years old... after a spine surgery and everything, is a tribute to the loving care that you and Don gave Opie. He crossed the bridge knowing how much he was loved, and that is the most important thing. My condolences on your loss. It's always tough to loose them, but the "firsts" are the worst.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Helen - I had a Pardner granddaughter who I lost in 1998 at age 16+. My friends have her 1/2 sister who turned 17 yrs in February of this year and is still going strong. I owned 2 dogs out of the Pardner daughter and they were wonderful tests dogs and hunting companions. I am sorry to hear about Opie.

Dawn

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
So Sorry for your loss

·
Registered
143 Posts
So sorry Helen. He sounds like he was a wonderful dog. Love those Pardner dogs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts