RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Johan A. "John" Honore, 79, of Phillips died Saturday, April 7, 2012, at his home.

Services will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at Apfel Funeral Home in Grand Island. The Rev. John Hayes will officiate. Cremation will take place following the services.

Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.

Mr. Honore was born July 31, 1932, at Federacia, Denmark to Johannes and Valborg (Jensen) Honore.

He grew up in Federacia, Denmark and immigrated to the United States in 1950. He answered his call to duty and served in the U.S. Army from 1950 to 1952. John married Nina C. Stoffel on July 17, 1957, in Grand Island. They made their home in Grand Island, where John was employed by his uncle, Ras Baasch as a blacksmith until 1966, when he and Nina started Honore Kennels. They sold the kennels in 1994.

John lived his dream when he started training dogs in the late 1950's, and continued until his death. He won the National Field Trials in 1974 with the Labrador, "Happy Playboy's Pearl", one of among several honors and wins over the course of 40 years. John was once rated third in the nation as a professional trainer, qualifying more dogs than anyone.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
John Honore was the pro for Mr David Crow when he won the National with Pearl at Weldon Mo...that particular Open had extremely cold weather, the dogs broke ice in one of the series

John Luther ran Judge in the National because Clint was a grad teaching assistant at A&M and couldnt get away, they went 7 series...Lanse went to the 7th, as did Roy McFall...the trial lasted 11 series but took only four days....

Mr Honore thought he was going to run Judge, because Mr Crow had offered to purchase him earlier in the year...Mr Honore ran some of Mr Crow's dogs but not all he time..Mr Crow ran FC AFC Sills Black Bandit, and Mrs Crow would run one of the other dogs....Mr Honore also handled a dog for Oscar Brewer and one for Mr Grunwald at one of the Nationals

Our condolences to his family...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Can remember dad talking of John.Very successful trainer,Bon I`m gonna go thru the archives and try to post some pics.Condolences to the family.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
from the desk of Clint Mallari M.D.
I trained with and competed against John Honore,while he was employed by David and Gretchen Crow...at the time they had a whole string of fabulous dogs, FC AFC Bigstone Flint,FC Dusty's Dapper Danny,NFC Pearl,FC AFC Sills Black Bandit, and FC AFC Evergreen Binx.

I remember that the John had trouble with Evergreen Binx always wanting to clamp down on the very last bird, the Crows and John tried every trick in the book to fool him, but the dog was very smart.

John was an honest hard working man,and was a very fine trainer of dogs and gracious in victory as he was in defeat. He was part of that era of pro trainers with guys like Joe Schomer,Jim Weitzel, JJ Sweezey,DL Walters , all good guys at the field trial and away from it too, for a young guy like me at the time, I was able to learn alot from them and befriended by them too

It was very disheartening to hear of John's passing,my condolences go out to his family

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Very nice,tell Clint thanks. Jim

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Ahh,Bigstone Flint.We had a littermate for the Fajens,FC Bigstone Scout and the scars on my hand are still visable.Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts