RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long-time field trialer and hunt test competitor, Roy McFall passed away last night at the age of 87. Over the years Roy became known as a respected dog trainer, a fierce competitor in the retriever sport, and a seasoned character in the dog community. He won the 1982 National Amateur with FC NAFC Piper's Pacer, several doubleheaders, and started running field trials in the 1950s. More information will be posted when available.

Rest in peace, Roy.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Long-time field trialer and hunt test competitor, Roy McFall passed away last night at the age of 87. Over the years Roy became known as a respected dog trainer, a fierce competitor in the retriever sport, and a seasoned character in the dog community. He won the 1982 National Amateur with FC NAFC Piper's Pacer, several doubleheaders, and started running field trials in the 1950s. More information will be posted when available.

Rest in peace, Roy.
I've known Roy since 1985. Rest in peace Roy. He should be in the Retriever Hall of Fame. Well over 1300 (maybe 1400) all age points as a handler. Alaska has field trials today in large part because of Roy McFall.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
RIP Roy. My landlord was just telling some stories a few weeks ago and Roy's name came up.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
got the word early this morning...Clint is heartbroken, Mr McFall was like a dad to him...Roy was the first person that he called when he passed his medical boards, my mom was second...

but suffice to say its a very sad day for us,since we have lost someone who played such a HUGE part in our family's life in respect to the retriever game

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Background
1957 Roy McFall acquired his first labrador; Lady Roxanne of Muldoon,for personal use as a duck hunting dog.Roy is a self taught trainer and experienced some early success hunting and in early Alaska field trials
1959 Roy co founded the Alaska Retriever club and organized the first AKC sanctioned trial held in Anchorage in 1963

The Hiwood line of dogs was started when Roxie was bred to NFC AFC Del Tone Colvin and he has been producing quality dogs for over 47 years
Field Trial Accomplishments
1977 16 wins in 20 starts with FC AFC CFC CAFC Hiwood Piper : 37.5 Open points , 56.5 Amateur points

Career

National Amateur Champion -NAFC FC Piper's Pacer
Canadian National Champion- NAFC FC CNFC CAFC Piper's Pacer

FC AFC CFC CAFC Hiwood Piper 347.5 All Age points -RHOF inductee

NAFC FC CNFC CAFC Piper's Pacer 140 pts

FC AFC Hiwood Kleen Sweep 183 pts
FC AFC Hiwood Clincher 166.5
FC AFC Hiwood Trooper 129.5
FC AFC Hiwood Kelly 103
FC AFC All Star's Jumpin Jenny 102
FC AFC Hiwood Delta Dash 59
FC AFC Hiwood Shadow 58.5
FC AFC Hiwood Jaguar 54
FC AFC Hiwood Stormy of Alaska 43.5
AFC Ripple 30.5
AFC Hiwood Prancer 32
AFC Hiwood Apache 24
FC Hiwood Ticker Tape
AFC Ripple River

ROY McFALL HAS AMASSED 1473.5 ALL AGE POINTS,

TEN DOUBLEHEADER WINS

Contributions to the sport
Roy and his wife, the late Josephine McFall donated the use of their property at Rainbow Lake for training and trials and played ambassador and hosts to many visiting judges and participants to the Alaska field trials

Roy has judged numerous All Age licensed trials

Roy has held numerous positions with the Alaska Retriever Club including Field Trial Chairman, and Secretary/Treasurer

Roy has also served on the Game Steward and the Grounds Committee at three different Nationals

Roy has mentored the following people in the retriever game

Nancy Sydnam M.D.
Mel Milton
Jack Woodland
Leonard Ferucci M.D. - RHOF inductee
Doug Anderson
Gwen Hayes
Brian Baines
Clyde Odom
Paula Feguson
Clint Mallari M.D.

the above info was compiled by WD Connor, and submitted for nomination to the Retriever Hall of Fame

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
He forgot to say that Hiwood Shadow was DC AFC Hiwood Shadow. The last DC in the Labrador breed. (circa 1974 I think)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The RHOF blew it if they didn't induct Roy before his death.

I think this is Roy's first NAHRA ribbon (last year). Maybe Howard can verify that.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I did not know Roy McFall, I wish that I had....
From What I have heard, he was a good deal of the color in the tapestry of the Field Trial game. God Speed Sir!

john

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
The RHOF blew it if they didn't induct Roy before his death.

View attachment 7786

I think this is Roy's first NAHRA ribbon (last year). Maybe Howard can verify that.
Keith, I was involved in the early days of NAHRA in Alaska along with Andy Loranger and a handful of others who kept it going. I can say with some certainty that Roy ran two of his FC's several times in the late 80's and early '90's. Probably Clint & Jenny. I am sure he had some passes with at least one of those dogs. (but I could be wrong)

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Our eyes were filled with tears this morning as we were awakened by a phone call from Roy's granddaughter to inform us that Roy had passed away, add to the fact that Clint had spent a good hour speaking with him on Monday evening.

I always knew that Roy meant a lot to Clint from the very first time he mentioned him when we first started dating. Clint was so proud of Roy and I know Roy felt the same way about Clint as evidenced by Roy naming FC AFC Hiwood Clincher (Clint)...Roy and our friend George Wilson gave us our first puppy as a couple in a dog named Stormy. When Clint took second in an Open with Stormy, the very first person he called was Roy...He and Jo were so very fond of our son's and treated them like grand kids, but Clint was like Roy's prodigal son...

We were scheduled to go to Colorado next weekend for our family reunion for Clint's mom, but all plans have been put on hold in lieu of this morning's events

We closed the clinic this morning because Clint was too upset to see any patients..We know that Roy will now be able to join his beloved wife Jo in heaven for all eternity....our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all those that knew and loved him

God Bless you Roy..we love you and you will always remain in our hearts

MaryKent Mallari

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
My deepest condolences to all who knew and loved Mr. McFall. I never had the pleasure to meet him, but I am very familiar with his name, his accomplishments and his dogs.

I ran a NAHRA Invitational one time, in 1997 at the grounds near Batavia, NY. I remember a young man named Dana Pruhs who was one of the three judges. I'm quite certain that Mr. McFall had an influence on this young man's retriever education and subsequent pursuits.

Sincerely, Chris

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mr McFall you are a legend, thank you and your dog's for all you gave to this great sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Hare

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I have known Roy since the mid 60's as a competitor on the circuit I ran, a rare judge (this is an example of someone who knew the game but was rarely asked & we say there are no judges), someone those who ran with him in AK respected mightily, but mostly a guy who knew dogs, how to train them & was a real competitor. My son had the privilege of judging with him & said it to be one of his better experiences in the sport. He was a guy who did not feel you had to use all the real estate available in order to put on a good trial.

I can remember being at Ninepipes years ago & asking Roy if Alaska was like this & you have to love this comment "It is, only bigger" :).

Roy along with Ray Goodrich are 2 people who should have been in the RHOF long ago, it is a sad testament to that organization that people as worthy as they are not there.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I Met Roy in the winter of 05 and only knew him briefly but liked him immedieately and enjoyed training with him at Mel Miltons place in Niland. At first I had no idea that I had met with such a great man in the retriever world. I was only into my 1st year of running field trials and was very green but Roy treated me like a an old timer. A judge had backed out of their assignment in the Am and Roy was asked to judge and of coarse he stepped up and took the task. He had Dicey entered in the derby and asked me to run her for him. I thought what an honor!!!!!!!!!!! Well we got a jam and was even more honored when afterwards he thanked me for running his dog and he told me that I was the first and only person besides him to ever handle one of his dog at a trial.
As I said I only knew him briefly but will always cherish the time spent with him. Good bye Roy and THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
My favorite Roy McFall story was when I ran a FT in Idaho several years ago. Roy was standing next to me while the placements were announced. We were having a pleasant converation when they got to third place he stopped talking...listening intently for the last two placements. When they announced that he had placed second he spit on the ground....very near my foot....and said I guess you won then shook my hand. Once met he was someone not to be forgotten.

Bill

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I met Roy at trials here in the PNW in the early 90's. I knew a little about field trials and had bred a Cody daughter to a Clint son, Midknight Code Breaker.He was so generous to help me understand what was going on in Opens . He always remembered me even though I wasn't running anything at the time. Truly deserves being in the HOF.

Jeff Gruber

PS Thank you Mel Milton for your time as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts