RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm curious, have there ever been any "dog vs dog" or "handler vs handler" rivalries in the game.

ya know, kinda a red sox vs yankees deal --- handlers that don't like each other and tried to do whatever they could to beat the other and dogs that seemed to ALWAYS be there at the end, nudging the other out....

don't post much, but read alot............this seems like something some of the RTF historians have not touched on so much.

gator

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Nice thread idea.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It would be cool to know about a pair of dogs that kept leap frogging each other week end and week out.

Although that would be pretty tough to keep it up week in and week out.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I would believe it happens, but also believe "dog vs handler" is exponentially more common. :p

·
Registered
545 Posts
Losthwy said:
but also believe "dog vs handler" is exponentially more common. :p
I have that rivalry everyday.

but of course for it to be a true rivalry I WOULD HAVE TO WIN A FEW TIMES. :(

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I second the Alaska rivalry :roll:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Guthrie & Tackett????? :lol:

non-stirring regards,

JS

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Jay Walker and Sal Gelardi were close friends (both had very good dogs)and they were forever playing pranks on each other some of which are legendary. Once when Sal was judging Jay got his lunch and applied some cow poop to Sal's sandwich. Sometime later when Jay and Sal were rooming together Sal snapped a picture of Jay coming out of the shower. At Christmas Sal sent a card to one of the prominent ladies from the East, allegedly he enclosed the picture with the greeting "Merry Christmas from Jay Walker"

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
EdA said:
Sometime later when Jay and Sal were rooming together Sal snapped a picture of Jay coming out of the shower. At Christmas Sal sent a card to one of the prominent ladies from the East, allegedly he enclosed the picture with the greeting "Merry Christmas from Jay Walker"
Not sure what I think about the poop on the sandwich thing, but this one is absolutely priceless!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Under the "dog vs dog" category I think we have been witnessing a pretty good struggle between Creek Robber and Carbon Copy of Horn Creek in the last few years. Watermark's Troublesome Scout probably had more 2nd place ribbons than any other dog, according to Mary Tatum. It seems like every time he showed up at a field trial another dog by the name of Lean Mac was there.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am aware of a few, but I'm not going beyond that. Would imagine that there are many throughout the country. Mix big egos and competition and you're gonna have some rivalries.

G

·
What about Hunt testers vs. Field Trialers. Everyone always says that the other can't do the others sport. Gutherie shut up a few there.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Ralph Bartley said:
What about Hunt testers vs. Field Trialers. Everyone always says that the other can't do the others sport. Gutherie shut up a few there.
Not to get off on a tangent, but. A friend of mine has a QAA bitch that he ran in a master test before she was QAA. None of the HT people had seen him around before, so the assumed that he was new to the sport of retrievers. They filled him in on a lot of helpful information. One bit of wisdom was that FT people come and try hunt tests all the time. They can't pass them usually because of steadiness and their lack of work on short marks. He kept his mouth shut, and proceeded to smack all the tests. :wink:

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Ralph Bartley said:
Why? Because he smacked the FT test and went out on the HT? Boy that showed them...

/Paul

1 - 20 of 73 Posts