Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other or none at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we are going to purchase some more duck hunting equipment and would like to know which of these motion ducks are the most reliable and most effective. Or if there is another brand and or type that is better that I am not aware of. Please feel free to give your reasons for your choices.
Thanks,
Margo

·
Registered
252 Posts
Vermonter:

We have been using a Mojo Mallard for 3 seasons now. It has been very reliable and we have had no problems. We have never used a robo duck but have been with somebody who had a Mojo Jr. In the West Texas wind, the less powerful Jr motor struggles at times( >15mph wind) otherwise it seems fine. I would be a little concerned about the open bottom on the robo--ours tends to get very wet and muddy.

As far as the value of the rotating wing bird I am a little mixed. Scientific studies out of Calif found that they did increase bag. We at times, find them to be helpful and other times not very helpful. They seem to work better earlier in the season and with specific species. Teal and widgeon almost want to land on it at times, while it seems to spook pintails at times. Hunting last Janusry I can't say they were any benefit at all.

John
________
KOREAN GIRL LIVE

·
Registered
8 Posts
Other, none of the above I like the Lucky Duck battery powered, its got great battery time,,,,,,,,I have dunked it for 2 hrs. It has been SHOT (2 richochets' and 2 hull breaches), holds a good charge. And has a remote control for it.

Blast

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jerry said:
Is the Lucky Duck what I see in the video?

Jerry
Actually when you see 2 of them you are seeing 1 mojo, and 1 Lucky Duck. The single one is more times than not mine which is the Lucky.

Blast- The video is comprised of SEVERAL hunts across the season.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I voted for Mojo because that is what I bought but I really don?t know if there is any difference.

I just purchased a Mojo with remote. While the difference between the two I am not sure but I will say I think they work great. Two or three years ago I hunted with a guy that had a Robo, I can?t say for sure but we "seemed" to get more action. Now I just purchase my Mojo and have only used it once. I hunted off a point that leads into a cove where the ducks "want to be." A few small groups actually landed out of range and swam into the decoy spread from about 100/125 yards away. One group of 4 actually swam directly in. Got a couple "trap" type jump shots out of it. A lot of birds decoyed. I killed a limit of mallards. I think the ones that swam in would have stayed in the cove and not "investigated" if it wasn?t for the Mojo.

I am actually wondering if it is an unfair advantage????

I suppose when hunting late season birds, I won?t feel that way.

I also added a couple of those battery powered hockey pucks - Quiver Magnets. They add movement to the spread as well.

Joe Miano

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Mojo. I believe it can be very effective, as well as ineffective. The only reason I bought one 2 years ago was due to hunting public land and offsetting the "competition". One day I had the better blind, spread and calling only to have the birds come in and turn at 50 yards and suck in to a guy 100 yds away using a Mojo. Now that I have one, there are plenty of times that I pull it...the birds tell me. If you do get one, think outside the box. If late season birds flare just out of range, set the spinner up 40 yds behind you. Many times I watch the spinners in front of a blind pull the birds and then they flare just out of range. Later in the parking lot you hear them say how the spinner didn't work...actually it did, but the setup needed to change in order to get the birds in the zone. If you do get one, buy and extra rechargeable battery or two.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I voted for none.
IMHO they all lead to ducks becomming decoy wise very early in the season. It is true that the people who use the get more ducks early in the season, but (IMO) we all get less by the time the season is over.
Smart calling will beat a mechanical decoy any day of the week.

tom

K

·
0 Posts
Wonderduck spanks 'em all. Can be used on a pole or in the water to look like a feeder or preener. They run all season on one D battery. You canget a 2 fer special now on their site.

Go to www.westernwingshooter.com and click the motion decoy test....

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have to vote for a wonder duck if you need a motorized decoy. I think the quiver magnets or a good ol' fashioned jerk string would be just as good. I will say when the motorized dekes work they work great,but when they don't the ducks won't come near you. The bad thing about the remotes is when you try to stop it ,it always stops with the white under part of the wing facing up. Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Margo,

Ditto to Shayne. Picked up a Mojo w/ remote last season. Mechanically, it's worked fine, and at least during the early season, it seems to help get the ducks' attention. Wouldn't get one w/o a remote.

How's your season been? Buddy and I had a great day up in Missisquoi on the 25th, but other than that, season's been about average. Twins have definately put a crimp on our days afield. :)

CKR

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
dogs

Neither! Nothing works like one hungry hen Mallard in a burlab bag in the blind and one live hungry Mallard hen anchored in the decoys. It's an old Cajun technique. :wink:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Neither! Nothing works like one hungry hen Mallard in a burlab bag in the blind and one live hungry Mallard hen anchored in the decoys. It's an old Cajun technique.
And nothing will get ya thrown in jail faster. It's an old Gane Warden technique. :rofl:

Kelly,,, whats with that avatar!!!! Im gonna tell your moma :rofl:

tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts