RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I attended my very first hunt test last weekend at Rockport, Texas. It was quite an experience. I didn't take my knucklehead but rather the camera. I shot about 1575 images THE FIRST DAY!!! I found shooting the tests relatively difficult. For much of the day the light was less than ideal. In the afternoon we were facing South and so the sun was in my face and the dogs were mostly backlit (not a good situation when photographing BLACK dogs esp). Since one has to photograph from behind the line you don't get those great shots with the dog charging toward the camera on the way to the bird, and the dogs were a bit far even with my 600mm. I did have a great time, and learned quite a bit. Everybody was very nice and the dogs were great fun! Am hoping to attend another one this coming month to see if I can improve on my technique. Here are a few of the shots that I liked. Many of you may notice that the dogs aren't retrieving ducks. Apparently due to a scarcity of our web-footed quarry, on this hunt we were seeking the much less well known Marsh Pheasant. A strange and rare bird that apparently has somewhat less scent than the average duck and, even though a marsh dweller, does not have a water repellant plumage, so rapidly becomes nasty soggy when repeatedly exposed to water. I don't think the dogs really approved and there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm exhibited by some of the bird boys too.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
As always.....awesome pics!!!

Chris

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hi Hugh,
First, I find it extremely difficult to get decent images when you can't control the shot. That said, try this on the goldens and yellow labs (if you use Photoshop). Open image in Photoshop, select Image>Adjustments>Selective Color>Color>Neutrals. Then slide the Black adjustment to color enrich.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Hugh,
First, I find it extremely difficult to get decent images when you can't control the shot. That said, try this on the goldens and yellow labs (if you use Photoshop). Open image in Photoshop, select Image>Adjustments>Selective Color>Color>Neutrals. Then slide the Black adjustment to color enrich.
Howdy Tony!
Thanks for the tip. No question when one doesn't have control of at least the direction of the light photography becomes more challenging. I do a lot of nature photography but do most of in on private land where I can install blinds and other features to obtain some control of the situation. I currently have two nice prepared photo sites for photographing wildlife, one a dedicated morning site and the other designed to take advantage of late afternoon light. To bad one can't suggest to the judges where to put the start line in relation to the sun. When shooting horse shows I have on occasion had horse judges do things to help me get the shot. Still a fun shoot at the Hunt and the images I posted were pretty much as shot except some cropping on some of them. Did you get a chance to look at the second set? Am planning on going out to the pond again tomorrow afternoon with a friend and his pup and perhaps a third fellow with a chocolate. Unfortunately don't know anybody with a black at the moment. Am trying to get the most out of the 300 while I have it. It goes back Monday (rats!).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hugh, I just looked at the second set. Great action. I think that Photoshop trick would work great with those! Keep shooting. Best - TZ

Howdy Tony!
Thanks for the tip. No question when one doesn't have control of at least the direction of the light photography becomes more challenging. I do a lot of nature photography but do most of in on private land where I can install blinds and other features to obtain some control of the situation. I currently have two nice prepared photo sites for photographing wildlife, one a dedicated morning site and the other designed to take advantage of late afternoon light. To bad one can't suggest to the judges where to put the start line in relation to the sun. When shooting horse shows I have on occasion had horse judges do things to help me get the shot. Still a fun shoot at the Hunt and the images I posted were pretty much as shot except some cropping on some of them. Did you get a chance to look at the second set? Am planning on going out to the pond again tomorrow afternoon with a friend and his pup and perhaps a third fellow with a chocolate. Unfortunately don't know anybody with a black at the moment. Am trying to get the most out of the 300 while I have it. It goes back Monday (rats!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.