RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Yates learned left leg of pattern blinds this morning. Now knows all three. Next week pattern blind with diversion.
Can you elaborate Wayne'? for a limey like me Thanks. Never heard that term before . Thanks (Heard of pattern blinds , but not left leg) and what are the three you use ?

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
A little late with this post. Middle leg of pattern blinds. I don't have the fields to get much longer. We have lots of rolling terrain. But it works for us.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
We had a big day. Walkup double ZW ducks. Next a wing clipped pigeon from box launcher behind log at 20 yards. Then walkout blind.
Moved to pattern blind field. Ran all three legs of pattern blinds. Then set up a stickman for a diversion to center pattern blind. Tomorrow we'll put a winger and launch a duck for a diversion.
I was very pleased with his work today

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 · (Edited)
Our day:

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
We started on taught blinds. He is doing great. Pretty much done with eight hand casting and wagon wheel.
He broke on 12/2/21 on.the last bird of a triple. Stopped him.with ecollar. Reset and then he did good. I was really upset with him.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
We had a big day:
Jumped gadwalls and killed one for Yates
Did Walkup delayed triple
Did in your face wc pigeon from box launcher
Did two ride out blinds
All were very good.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Today's work. You can hear me cuss at the end of the video. I almost fell over reaching down for the bumper. You can notice all the movement at the line for marks. My balance is awful and I can't stand very still in one place without my walking stick. Sometimes I sit on my stool for marks. When training alone I have too much stuff in my hands.
On ride out blinds, Yates sits on the bench seat of the mule and watches me drop off the bumpers.
Dogs do stupid stuff sometimes. For ride out blinds, I use small traffic cones for blind markers. One time Yates brought a traffic cone back.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Today's work. You can hear me cuss at the end of the video. I almost fell over reaching down for the bumper. You can notice all the movement at the line for marks. My balance is awful and I can't stand very still in one place without my walking stick. Sometimes I sit on my stool for marks. When training alone I have too much stuff in my hands.
On ride out blinds, Yates sits on the bench seat of the mule and watches me drop off the bumpers.
Dogs do stupid stuff sometimes. For ride out blinds, I use small traffic cones for blind markers. One time Yates brought a traffic cone back.
Yes, they do!
Our group used to place a bird and throw a one gallon bleach jug loaded with gravel to the planted bird on really long retired marks against difficult backgrounds.
My dog retrieved the jug.... :rolleyes:
After that, we attached a long cord to the jug so that it could be retrieved back to the thrower while the dog was enroute or retrieving a different bird. -Paul

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Today’s work:
Walkup single ZW
ZW double
ZW long single
All with ducks
Three moderate cold blinds
Game of happy tennis ball at end of session
Once home a 30 minute walk
This is typical for our days
Yates is much better around house when tired

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Wayne,

I love your stuff and admire both your skill and determination in dodgy circumstances. Well done you.

I had my "Ross" out as a demo dog on a UK style walk-up training day in a field of fodder beet, with a dummy thrown behind the line and therefore a blind. It was only forty - fifty yards or so and he cast off on a dead accurate line, and returned with a beet..... top leaves, root and all.

To compound the felony the next season he did exactly the same thing in an adjacent field of small swedes. Those present who enquired if I fed him on vegetable stew received just the answer you'd expect. :cool:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Eug, first and foremost, I'm echoing all you're applauding about Our Wayne - genuinely.

Secondly, however...you need to bridge the language gap a little better so as not to have Our Wayne wondering if y'all are complicit with y'all's dogs in abducting Scandinavian little people ("small Swedes"). While Ingrid Bergman (a statuesque 5 ft 9) and Bibi Andersson (5-6) would've been exempt from such alleged abduction, and even though Wayne didn't just fall off a turnip truck in Junction, Tex., he might need an explanation of how a taste for rutabagas can also apply to small (but not tall) Swedes...

Wayne,
I love your stuff and admire both your skill and determination in dodgy circumstances. Well done you.

I had my "Ross" out as a demo dog on a UK style walk-up training day in a field of fodder beet, with a dummy thrown behind the line and therefore a blind. It was only forty - fifty yards or so and he cast off on a dead accurate line, and returned with a beet..... top leaves, root and all. To compound the felony the next season he did exactly the same thing in an adjacent field of small swedes. Those present who enquired if I fed him on vegetable stew received just the answer you'd expect. :cool:
MG

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Is that anything like when a poster on here asked where he could go to shoot a few "Canadians"?
As I remember it, he was directed to Ottawa.....;)
Kinda related to Wayne's hieing off to Paris, Texas for castor oil ripple "tail-churned" ice cream - 'cause he sho' don't wanna send Yates on a blind for that stuff!

MG

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I can't believe I'm doing this on a dog training forum but here we go .....

A popular root veg especially in cool wet areas, apparently known over yonder as a rutabaga. By coincidence I'm reading Damon Runyon for the umpteenth time and he uses rutabaga as a less than flattering description of a pancake (which see). I always wondered what it was, but was too idle to find out.

Swede / carrot / potato / cumin mash will be on the side at our Christmas lunch .. delish.

Paul asked Is that anything like when a poster on here asked where he could go to shoot a few "Canadians"?
As I remember it, he was directed to Ottawa....
I fear it is.:unsure:

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 · (Edited)
This morning. I also did a long single with a diversion on return. It was up at the barn on the right. You can see the holding blind. But Yates just disappeared in the fog. We could see it but the camera couldn't pick out the features in fog.

Reactions: paul young

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for posting these. You two are a good team. He's coming along nicely and is developing into a real nice dog. The foundation you've built is starting to show some advancing skills. I like his style. Seems to be focused and loves the training. Hard to beat a day of training, just you and your dogs.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Yates is 11 months.

181 - 200 of 226 Posts