RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Couldn’t wear Yates out this morning. Started with two water retrieves on wild ducks I shot. Then 5 ZW land retrieves. Followed by 5 land blinds. He was still going strong.
But now crashed on his bed in kitchen.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I think you added a little fuel to the fire when you got him out duck hunting. (y)

Also, you're talking about tiring out a teenager. Not sure if that is even possible! Mental fatigue is an entirely different matter.... - Paul

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Finally beginning to calm down in house. Waiting for me to finish drinking coffee, get dressed and load up to go hunting/training.
Comfort Carnivore Wood Flooring Dog breed

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Yates after a retrieve in cold water. Only in box while I opened gate and crossed highway.
Dog Carnivore Automotive tire Tread Collar

Reactions: saltgrass

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 · (Edited)
A real Walkup. Hope you can see this video of me and Yates.
Walking up on 1 1/2 dozen ducks and sitting on whistle.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Yesterday's work hilites. Yates has been getting worse about dipping his head so that it is hard for me to reach and get duck.
As an interim measure yesterday I would give a cue for the next event. Either "mark" or "dead bird" and he would raise his head. At the end of the day I did walking FF with large bumpers.
In today's work he did well with dead birds but the head dipping returned on a live duck and fresh killed duck. So then we did walking FF with ducks including a fresh killed duck. I'm hoping to see improvement Monday. But I used the last of my live ducks.
Any suggestions are welcome.
P.S. A bark collar is going on Rudy when in box.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Map Slope World Terrestrial plant Screenshot

This morning work. Two doubles and two blinds. 1-2 order hip pocket. 3-4 order pinched in. Then blinds 2-1 order.
Marks were excellent. Blind 2 very good. Blind 1 with lots of suction to mark 2. But we hacked out way to the blind.
Hand delivery of ducks was pretty good.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Wayne, short lead, pull head up, heeling stick "sit" ! Kinda like patting your head and rubbing your belly at the same time though. Not an uncommon issue.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Yates first triple. The tag line is to pull his head up if he dips it. He is just about over that. We both learned a lot this morning. He ran last so he was fired up.
It was a big wide open triple (170 degrees).
We ran a blind but the cows moved right on top of it practically. He was reluctant to go up to them.

Reactions: Rozet

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Our work this morning. Yates popped on mark three. He either smelled something, heard me talking when I said "oh shat" or most likely heard the landowner when she was doing something with Scout. She was at their house with Scout off to the right. When he returned he looked in that direction several times. Anyway I was proud that he unwound and continued quickly.

Reactions: Colonel Blimp

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
First out of order triple and only his second triple. Sometimes he get excited when he leaves the line. Not very often though. This was a tough set up for a young dog.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Property Furniture Dog Comfort Picture frame
Yates must have been up all night guarding the homestead. He’s been sleeping for about two hours. When it warms up we’ll go do some yard drills.

Reactions: saltgrass

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Starting to stretch out some. I didn't have my range finder this morning. Rowdy and I did these marks so its in my notes somewhere.
Yates did 7 marks this morning. But I liked the concept of in front of levee and then behind levee.
On second mark Yates wasn't going to break but I don't like the crouching down. A correction but still allowed to get duck.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Yates has ear infection. No water work until ears rechecked on 3/24/22. Drats. Next week is going to be great weather wise.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Wind as a factor in marks. We have had some very strong winds the last few days. In fact it has been awful. Yates drifted with the wind on the left mark but the wind carried the duck really far. So he wasn't very far to the left.
Both Rudy and Yates both did the same thing.
Yates is such a softy. There is a patch of stickers that you see him avoid on the way back to me. When will he toughen up? Rudy ignored the stickers.

201 - 220 of 226 Posts