RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
221 - 226 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Yates was moving too much on his last triple. So we have gone into rehab mode for the last 10 days or so. Nothing but singles with emphasis on what is happening at line. Watching his butt closely.
He is a tough little dude. When moving his butt I have been burning him on high 7 continuous long prongs Garmin Pro 550. For normal ob, pile work and blinds I use 3 or 4. The desire for the retrieves is so strong that these levels didn't do the job.
In mark 2 he moved his front feet and I missed a correction. On mark 3 he moved his butt very slightly but he got a burn at high 7.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
We went and trained in field for first time in a month. My mentor told me not to test him but keep it simple. We did a variant of the set up shown above. He did good. I was pleased as the head dipping has gone away.
The heavy thing I lifted was a duck. My son did all the set up and reloading. I will be cleared for normal activity oa May 18 hopefully.

We have been doing drills in back yard with bumpers with emphasis on turning sharply and auto sit on return. Also not taking bumper until he is sitting up straight and wants to give to me.
I have a scale on back porch and weigh every thing so it is less than 10 lbs. What a pain.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
In mark 2 he moved his front feet and I missed a correction. On mark 3 he moved his butt very slightly but he got a burn at high 7.
You know your dog but I didn't see anything that warranted that kind of correction (maybe a tap with a heeling stick).
Also, if the collar is working properly, Yates has the highest tolerance electricity I've ever seen in a dog.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 · (Edited)
Ecollar is working fine. Yates is a tough little guy. I had to move to 7 to get the message across to him about raising his butt. He now understands and I have been able to back off. Heeling stick means nothing to Yates while bird is in air. First time I have ever spun the dial that high.
He has been like this every step of basics.
I have had to really bring the heat for him to comply. I wish I would have kept the videos of his force to pile and T.
But once he understands he is great.
I think this comes from Mickey. EdA gave me a heads up about Mickey/Benchley.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
While recovering I have been working in backyard with Yates. Focus has been on auto sit and not dipping head. I have one more week of light duty and then we can return to the field.
Yates in 15 months old and weighs 68.5 lbs.

221 - 226 of 226 Posts