RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Start three handed casting. Another five sessions or so to flush this out and then ecollar conditioning.
I also forced on ducks yesterday and refreshed this morning.

Reactions: saltgrass

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
Continuation of simple casting. Three bumpers out and working on prevent shopping.
I'm getting much better eye contact. But lazy sit has reappeared.
Some field work from 8/24/21

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Simple casting completed on 8/27/21. Moving to ecollar conditioning on 9/1/21.
Getting very steady on marks. Once I get to line I can now drop the lead on land marks. Not quit there on water yet as the splash excites him. Monday we will start bird in the mouth marks in preparation for simple doubles.
Yates can be very hard headed and we have had several really tough sessions on fetch. But now delivering birds to hand in field.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
First ecollar conditioning session. Tritronics Pro 500 with long prongs in continuous mode but pressing button and releasing immediately. I think I nicked six times. First in med 3 and he looked around and down at ground. Wondering?
Next was high 3 which was too aversive. Next two times med 3. Once he tried to pull away, Next two times at low 3. I think I am between a med and low 3 depending.
We'll start with a med 3 tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Today went as expected. Lots of lagging which indicates we are ready to move on to ecollar here. I must have not got the ecollar on as tight as yesterday. I didn't see a reaction on med 3. Moved to high 3 with stable but noticeable reactions. Tightened collar and moved down to med 3.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Field work today.
Yates first experience with grass burrs in and around the line. Plus i'm not his favorite person now. He has had lots of pressure lately. After marks we had day four of ecollar conditioning. It was going good at the end of the session. I backed off the intensity a bit.

The first mark was thrown by a winger with new rubbers. It went a country mile.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
This morning back to simple casting for intro to indirect pressure. No lead just ecollar. One correction for shopping and it never reappeared. Two corrections for wrong cast. Called back to front sit and nicked on whistle sit. Altogether a good session. Lots of energy.
Will do again tomorrow. Then next ecollar fetch.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Two days in a row doing FTP. Out to about 20
Yds. Side sent and left and right backs. Good energy going and coming. No pressure yet just learning pile.
On second day of indirect pressure on simple casting I made a terrible mistake and nicked at worse possible time. It took me almost a week to work through this. He was so unforgiving. Dang.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Yates did his first honor this morning. On lead of course but he did good. I would have videoed but my wife ran working dog, Shiner. She is video shy.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Excerpts from this morning. I had to move closer to the pile to have total success with the buggy whip.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Yates did his first taught double this morning. Showed good memory. Also did his FTP drill very well. A sit whistle is coming soon while enroute to pile.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Yates did his first taught double this morning. Showed good memory. Also did his FTP drill very well. A sit whistle is coming soon while enroute to pile.
Wayne, you better slow down with all that stuff, or next thing you know, the aTM administration (maybe even president emeritus [and the NCAA's answer to Simon Bolivar] General Gates) will make a unilateral decision that Yates is the best-drilled dog in the Corps of Cadets, and issue a call of duty for him to pinch-cheerlead for Reveille in the big showdown versus the Crimson Tide!

MG

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Yates will replace my Rowdy with our annual TAMU flag and gig’em photo and posting just prior to AL game.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Yates will replace my Rowdy with our annual TAMU flag and gig’em photo and posting just prior to AL game.
Uh-oh, Wayne, you may have just thrown down the gauntlet. I'm foreseeing a showdown between 7-month-old yearlings of aTm and 'Bama partisanship to be determined by an RPO inside game and time (and object) of possession. But I warn you on that score, Spitfire is a 65-lb. b!tch that runs downhill like Jalen Hurts.
Dog Plant Tree Natural environment Carnivore

MG

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
I’ll bet she throws like a girl though.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)
More pile work.
I finally got fed up with the messing around about 10 feet from me and fixed it off camera. One other issue needs to be fixed. Not taking back cast at a distance.
But lots of positive:
No avoidance (about 16 trips to pile)
No flaring except when septic sprinkler came on and we both flared.
No shopping of pile
Going straight to pile through force spots
Good eye contact
Good response to first sits returning and enroute to pile.
More work to be done but good progress.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
I should have stayed in bed this morning. I was thinking one more day on FTP and we'll be done. Oh no. This morning was just awful: no goes, flaring, popping, some shopping, avoidance, wouldn't take cast off a sit, etc. I don't know where all this came from. It was horrible but I forced my way through the morning and finally got it all done, including a good sit on whistle and then taking the back cast. Jeez.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 · (Edited)
Yates did very good on his pile work this morning. We did it after field work of five marks. Maybe he was too tired to think of any aggravation. Go figure.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
We finished FTP this morning with nice square whistle sits. Now on to T. I only do single T which works for me. I had some nice ZW duck retrieves this morning. He hustled back with ducks. Unfortunately my videocam lens was dirty and the sun reflected on it to make A crummy video. But I have it in my memory.

He is getting more steady. I still have the short lead but drop it to the ground. He is doing simple doubles. We need to work on push pull drills. I think we're going to work on that during the next few days of rain.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I decided to post the video from 9/28/21 even though the quality is poor. I think you can see an improvement in his attitude. This morning we stayed home and did some drills: wagon wheel and stretching out three handed casting in prep for doing 8 handed casting.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts