RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 · (Edited)
This morning we worked on being more steady and running from under the down hand. Rather taking off as soon as the hand shadow appears.
I set up my blind pole for T. I showed him the pile but discovered a bunch of grass burrs (stickers) along the route. May have to find a different location.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 · (Edited)
Too wet to get out in the fields. So Yates, Shiner and I did some training in the back yard. Basically steady drills.

Reactions: Btex

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
I should have stayed in bed this morning. I was thinking one more day on FTP and we'll be done. Oh no. This morning was just awful: no goes, flaring, popping, some shopping, avoidance, wouldn't take cast off a sit, etc. I don't know where all this came from. It was horrible but I forced my way through the morning and finally got it all done, including a good sit on whistle and then taking the back cast. Jeez.
All part of the normal progression which is why we do it

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Back on lead again.

Reactions: Btex

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Finished establishing T line this morning.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Plant Dog Tree Carnivore Dog breed

Yates 8 months tomorrow. 62.5 lbs. Stayed home this morning. Did wagon wheel introduced orange bumpers into drill. Did extended (longer) three handed casting. Then started teaching angle backs. Coming into his own since a lot of the pressure is behind us.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
We had a great day on marks: two land ZW ducks, one water ZW Dokken and one box launcher wc pigeon.
I ran into a problem on T. Just too many grass spurs that are creating problems. I scouted around and found a new field that the cows have muched down and no spurs. So starting over.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Moved to new field and established T line. Forced once. Probably all I will do given previous work. 9 bumpers with enthusiasm. A good session.

Reactions: Tobias

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Continued good progress on T. Established intersection and casting left, right and back. This morning moved full distance and stopping and taking casts. Going to be wet the next coup!e of days with 2-4" rain. So may not get back in fields until early next week. If the weather would cooperate I can finish in a few more sessions.
I'm fighting the calender to get to swimby before it turns cold.
The ranch hand moved several dozen cows into my new T field yesterday. We're used to working in and around cows. This morning we had to stop and let them graze through.
We got his slight crooked sit fixed. He is still a little slow on his sit but it is pretty tight. Working on this.
We're doing pretty nice doubles and lead free steady on dead ducks and live pigeons.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Continued good progress on T. Established intersection and casting left, right and back. This morning moved full distance and stopping and taking casts. Going to be wet the next coup!e of days with 2-4" rain. So may not get back in fields until early next week. If the weather would cooperate I can finish in a few more sessions.
I'm fighting the calender to get to swimby before it turns cold.
The ranch hand moved several dozen cows into my new T field yesterday. We're used to working in and around cows. This morning we had to stop and let them graze through.
We got his slight crooked sit fixed. He is still a little slow on his sit but it is pretty tight. Working on this.
We're doing pretty nice doubles and lead free steady on dead ducks and live pigeons.
Glad to hear that you're both having fun! Good progress to this point, I think. -Paul

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
At home again due to rain. Started teaching angle backs. First did three handed with bumpers further out. Then two piles at both angle back positions. Then added overs into setup.
He did great. He was full of energy after being rained out and didn’t get any work or exercise yesterday.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 · (Edited)
Yard work while fields are too wet. Moving on to eight handed casting, phase 1. When teaching this I use voice and three different commands: over, fetch and back. Soon the casts will be silent.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
We had a really good session this morning. Three bumper boy marks. Two of marks fell behind slight levees. It's a joy to watch them learning to check up when they get a !little too deep.
Our T drill went very good. A few rookie mistakes. Sometimes they do unexpected stupid things for no apparent reason. He was returning with a bumper from the back pile. He got about half way back and spit the bumper out.
And when setting up he rolled around in cow poop..
Good news is ranch hand moved cows to another field.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 · (Edited)
Making progress on T. This morning we started disciplined casting. Not shown on video was a stop and cast back to pile with bumper in mouth. My video is not very good as I think the wind was shaking the video cam on the tripod. And I had to use my stool for stability.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Almost done with T. I'm going to do a couple disciplined back casts tomorrow and move on to swimby Monday.
I made a couple mistakes by not getting him lined up correctly and in his eagerness he went a bit early twice. I'm trying to get him to run out from under my hand.
Rudy was on stakeout behind us and he must have stood up and Yates noticed him.
I got the sit I've been wanting on the first sit whistle for the right hand cast.
Yates is a handful and took a heavy hand to steer him through this drill.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
We had live ducks this morning. Yates got his first live one. My son threw a hooded hen at about 30 yards. I had Yates on a loose lead but wasn't necessary. Upon release he ran to the duck. It jumped up and ran around. Yates was unsure what to do. I yelled fetch twice and he rassled it to the ground and made a hand delivery without any harm to duck.
Then we shoot it for him from the flyer station. Yates was steady without a lead and delivered to hand. Then we threw the fresh killed duck from another ZW station. Did great again.
I was really happy with Yates. I can't believe that I didn't video this. But my son and adult grandson were on a tight schedule.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 · (Edited)
Started swimby this morning. My swimby pond is wider than I would like. Normally the water levels aren't this high. Right now the pond is 30 yards wide. Length is ok at 45 yards. Idon't know how I am going to be able to run to the end of the pond exit when we do his first over. I had trouble when Shiner was learning and that was two years ago.
A tough day for holding a straight line. The wind was howling left to right along the pond.
I don't normally do a sit whistle on the first lesson but Yates was telling me that he was ready.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Yesterday afternoon ranch hand mowed further back from edge of pond for me. So I forced on land enroute to the pond. I also forced in water enroute to the dummy pile. I was going to force on the back spin but forgot. He took the force find. So I'm done.
His turns after picking up a dummy and getting into water were much tighter this morning.
Looks like we're going to suspend swimby for a bit as a storm system is moving in.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts