RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Looks like winter is going to over take my swimby. This morning we were taking left and right casts. Over cast to right and Swimming to right bumper slightly on shore and casting back into water and swimming to left exit point. On swimby I was walking along shore giving over. And doing a repeat with left cast.
We only need about three days. Maybe we'll get a warm up for a few days. This morning air temp was 60 and water 62 with practically no wind on the water.

Reactions: Frostyhollow

·
Registered
703 Posts
With that water temp, you should be good for at least a week yet.
My 8 mo old finished swimby a couple weeks ago. Air temp in the 40's, water prob upper 40's. No issue at all.
We duck hunted this weekend and air temps were 33 degrees with water in low 30's. He was fine hunting after water retrieves and was playing in the water while I picked up decoys.
Your still WARM. Keep going!

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
I guess I didn't state it but a storm is moving into north Texas. At 81 I don't train in the rain with 15 mph north winds. Temps aren't extreme but cooling off pretty good with a high of 48. I think I'll just wait until early next week when temps are high in 70s and lows of 50 and sunny. Landowner doesn't want me out in pastures when its wet.
Also, I guess I'm just a wimp.

Reactions: ripline

·
Registered
169 Posts
I guess I didn't state it but a storm is moving into north Texas. At 81 I don't train in the rain with 15 mph north winds. Temps aren't extreme but cooling off pretty good with a high of 48. I think I'll just wait until early next week when temps are high in 70s and lows of 50 and sunny. Landowner doesn't want me out in pastures when its wet.
Also, I guess I'm just a wimp.
Last thing in the world you are is a "whimp"!! Don't much care for the cold and wet weather we are in myself.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
At home waiting on pastures to dry out. Yates picked up on a walkup very quickly. We did it for the first time last Tuesday and he got nicked. Now he has picked up on my language and is very cautious.

Reactions: Btex

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 · (Edited)
Noisy dog is Rudy in box.
This morning late was ideal for swimby. I started at about 11am. Air temp was 67 and water 59 0r 60. Had a south wind at 9 mph.
We made it back to where we stopped last Tuesday and maybe a little more. We had a little issue with the exit point. He switched and i got on him about that. Then young cows showed up at the exit point. But all worked out at end of session. Except my videocam battery died and I didn't get the final over and swimby recorded. He only took one cast to get back in the water and nailed the exit point.
Tomorrow is going to be another good day for swimby.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
... We made it back to where we stopped last Tuesday and maybe a little more. We had a little issue with the exit point. He switched and i got on him about that. Then young cows showed up at the exit point. But all worked out at end of session. Except my videocam battery died and I didn't get the final over and swimby recorded. ...
Wayne, I'm going to recommend bringing in Peter Bogdanovich as lead cinematographer to take care of that glitch. Only hitch is he'll want to depict you and Yates in black and white, and put Jacy (Cybil Shepherd) at the wheel of the white F-150 across the pond that kittenishly slinks away as (good) suction for Yates as he's swimming west. Also he'll put in another POV: Dr. EdA (Ben Johnson) slowly approaches your "director's chair" and provides blunt and succinct guidance in a gentle West Tejas drawl. And lastly those rollin' dogies will need to be vetted by Temple Grandin so the AHA boilerplate "No Animals Were Harmed in the Making of This Film" can take a "permission back" across the screen as the credits swim past.

Lookin' good, Wayne - as others noted, inspirin', also. Big box office across the big pond, too (Colonel Blimp/Eug) - though he may weigh in on using The Archers (Powell and Pressburger) for the remake. After all, they're at the very crux of his existence and existentialism as a retriever trainer and cultural commentator.

MG

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
How do you think of this commentary? Very funny.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
This morning air was 65 and water 62 degrees. South wind of 8 mph. In the swimby videos I am facing south.
We had a little trouble with hitting the left exit point exactly. Maybe due to cows. It is a little bit of an odd shape. We'll get this cleaned up.

Reactions: Btex

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
This morning air tem[ 67 and water 62 degrees.
Getting close to being done. He now knows both overs and exits. I need another day or two to imprint all. But I'm having to pause again. A storm is moving in this afternoon and night. But I am having some oral surgery this afternoon which will impact me for a day or so probably.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Finished swimby this morning. A beautiful morning: air 68, water 60 degrees and south wind 10 mph. A little windy but pond is pretty sheltered.​

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Going to get ducks tomorrow and dr appointment on Thursday. Will start pattern blinds on Friday.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 · (Edited)
After marks, Established center leg of pattern blinds this morning. Went very well. Forgot to take range finder. Well range tomorrow.
150 yds

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Ecoregion Plant Land lot Vegetation Urban design

My swimby pond. It is not ideal as it is too wide. 30X45 yards. But it works.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Learned right leg of pattern blinds this morning.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Back/leg pain was pretty rough yesterday so I came home after marks. Delayed start of left leg of pattern blinds until Friday.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Yates learned left leg of pattern blinds this morning. Now knows all three. Next week pattern blind with diversion.
Had bad luck on way home this morning. A buck ran into me. Hit me mid vehicle on drivers side. Inside city limits on a residential street. I didn't see the deer until just before it hit me. Damage to drivers side door panel and lower panel in extended cab. Appears to be superficial damage but given aluminum body it will cost thousands.
Person behind me said buck knocked off an antler but seemed to be ok.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts