RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you tell if your dog has been FF by the trainer like they were supposed to be, is there some sort of a test a person can do with their dog? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Drop a bumper or better yet the most destroyed beat up nastiest duck you can find and say fetch! Dog should dive reckless abandon at it no matter what it is! Also i think pile work is part of ff, so run a mini pile using fetch and back! I think that should give you a clear indication if the dog was properly ff! JMHO!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Are you trying to check the work before paying or buying the dog or is it just that you want to know.

If there is no rush, just press forward with training. If the dog isn't properly FFd it will show at some point.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
How can you tell if your dog has been FF by the trainer like they were supposed to be, is there some sort of a test a person can do with their dog? Just curious.
The trainer will be glad to answer that question for you and give a demo on what he or she has done there at their place. You should already know what is expected, if not, then ask. Educate yourself. Your training is just begun.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you trying to check the work before paying or buying the dog or is it just that you want to know.

If there is no rush, just press forward with training. If the dog isn't properly FFd it will show at some point.

Actually it is just a curiosity question as I don't question the ability of my trainer. My dog fetches anything I ask her to, she just doesn't do it with a lot of enthusiam.

Is FF something that can be revisited or is there a way to "remind"?

Cannot get a demo from trainer as there are many states between us. We are working walk out blinds right now and she goes to pile every time.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Actually it is just a curiosity question as I don't question the ability of my trainer. My dog fetches anything I ask her to, she just doesn't do it with a lot of enthusiam.

Is FF something that can be revisited or is there a way to "remind"?

Cannot get a demo from trainer as there are many states between us. We are working walk out blinds right now and she goes to pile every time.
Good question...How is force to pile working for you? Dogs will get burned out on drills so try and mixed it up with marks as well. Balance is the key. Drills in the morning then maybe marks in the afternoon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think maybe you have got it right. She is burned out on the walkout blind and I have been doing it all by myself since I got her back from the trainer, therfore I haven't been doing any marks. Just walk out blinds, single t, and yard drills. I ordered a couple wingers with remote yesterday so I have a way to throw marks. I also have just been using bumpers so I am going to mix in some birds also to get the enthusiasm back up.

I have noty forced her to the pile as she goes always, just in first gear. I have encouraged her to step it up with the back-nick-back which gets her to second gear. Now when I throw the fun bumper she hits warp speed but I don't want to do too much "fun" bumpers for fear of creating a dog that breaks off the line.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
The list of things you're doing reminds if the things I did with my first lab. It seams a bit hap hazard. Which is the way I approached training.

The back-nick-back is force to pile.

So I'm thinking you may not be following a comprehensive program such as Lardy's TRT. In this DVD you will see a properly ffd dog. More importantly you will see the step by step approach to a finished dog. I'd get this ASAP. In the mean time, stop the drills and throw marks for the dog.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help Glen and BJ. I ordered the TRT video set and will heed you advice on throwing marks. That was already my plan , and will proceed after I recieve the DVD's

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Thanks for the help Glen and BJ. I ordered the TRT video set and will heed you advice on throwing marks. That was already my plan , and will proceed after I recieve the DVD's
That's good to hear. We are not here to beat you up. So please know that. Hell...for that matter...I don't know everything and I would be a fool to think such. I am always in learning mode in all aspects and that will be until the day I meet my maker. Just keep that in mind. OK...Just do the best you can and enjoy what has been given to you.

Benny

·
Registered
921 Posts
like has been mentioned, Balance is critical at this stage of training. The dog needs to have some fun mixed in on a daily basis. However to say EVERY dog that has been FF will dive at a retrieve object of any kind with " reckless abandon " is just not true. Some dogs just have more style than others. I believe that you can not train style into a dog. You can however train it out of them. I have had dogs that dont move fast during force work even though they completely understand. I have one right now that got his MH with consecutive passes. He picks up his marks with no regaurd for his own safety and runs about half speed on blinds. He is a very good lining and handleing dog with a great attituide, just runs slow on blinds. I have several that go full speed also, becarful what you wish for ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts