1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waterloo Amateur Retriever Club is pleased to present:

Dave Rorem's Handling Seminar

Hunt Test - Field Trial - Gun Dogs

If you're interested in improving your handling skills for hunt tests, field trials, or hunting you will want to be sure to attend this seminar!

Dave Rorem and his wife Paulette own and operate Rorem Retriever Kennels, which is a premier kennel for all types of training. They have trained and handled more than 70 Field Champions, 48 National Finalists and 5 National Champions.

They have coached many amateur handlers to be very successful in their sport. They pride themselves on coaching the dog and handler team to the best they can be!

Dave will work with Hunt Test and Field Trial setups and provide his insight into each one.

Date: Saturday and Sunday, January 29 - 30, 2005

Start time: 9 AM

Location: Triple Crown Dog Academy, Hutto, Texas (near Austin)
www.triplecrowndogs.com/info/map_hours.htm

Fees: $ 150 for the 2 day seminar (Add $ 100 for your spouse.)

Bring: Chair, notepad, pencils. This seminar will be held rain or shine. Donuts will be provided each morning.

ALL PROCEEDS FROM THIS SEMINAR WILL BE USED BY WATERLOO AMATEUR RETRIEVER CLUB FOR LAND ACQUISITION.

For more information email Martha Lancaster at [email protected] or call (512) 930-7050.

http://www.waterloo-retriever.org

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I was at the seminar in Minnesota this past June and it was EXCELLENT!

This is not a seminar on how to train your dog. It's about how to get your dog and yourself ready and be successful at tests and trials.

I've been to alot of seminars and I left this one with more information than I have from other seminars in a long time.

I highly recommend it!!!!!!

Remember ALL the moneys collected from this seminar are going back to the Waterloo Club for their new training grounds.

Let's all support Waterloo Retriever CLub and learn something in the process.

Angie

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Angie-
Did participants bring dogs or did Mr. Rorem demo w/ his dogs? This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for & hey-free donuts! :wink:
M

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Miriam Wade said:
Angie-
Did participants bring dogs or did Mr. Rorem demo w/ his dogs? This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for & hey-free donuts! :wink:
M
Oh Miriam!!!! I'd love it if you'd come. It's just the handlers and their dogs.

The first day he gives his theories on handling and preparation. Then we all slogg through the tests and then are critiqued. He later will run a few of his dogs and explain how he read the test and why he did what he did when he did it.

There will be 2 sets of judges. One set of field trial judges for the trialers and a set of hunt test judges for us testers. They also critique your performance on how you ran their test.

The feedback is priceless.....

Angie

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
If I come do I get a Birthday discount?? Or at least a party??

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
573 Posts
To bad its the weekend of the Triple DQ in New Orleans.

Free weekends are difficult to comeby in my life.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
FOM said:

Lainee, Flash and Bullet
I'm sure we could bend elbow or two for your Big Day!!! Hope you can make it down!!!! :D

Angie

·
Registered
351 Posts
FOM said:

Lainee, Flash and Bullet
I bet us Texas boys could whip up a b-day bash or somethin. Nothin like a tailgate party

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Gerard Rozas said:
To bad its the weekend of the Triple DQ in New Orleans.

Free weekends are difficult to comeby in my life.
Your right Gerard, but trials, maybe not triple DQ's, are every weekend. Not too often someone is in your back yard that can really help you with your trial game plan and performance.

Just think'in,,,,,

Angie

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
By the way...if some of you do come from a distance, there is a really nice, dog friendly motel in Round Rock. The maids even place dog biscuits on the pillow for each night! It is about 10 miles from Triple Crown, is close to anything that you might need or want, and does give discounts for those participating in dog events.

Martha can get the motel info for you...

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Shayne Mehringer said:
This should be a good time. Dave is a super guy.

Look for seminar registrations in the near future on EntryExpress!

Shayne
And you may even learn something Shayne.......

Just think'n

Angie

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Angie B said:
Shayne Mehringer said:

Shayne

Just think'n

Angie
I didn't say i was going. Duh! Although i do think Dave's would be high on my list of seminars i'd like to attend.

Shayne

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Angie B said:
Shayne Mehringer said:

Shayne

Just think'n

Angie
Angie-

Sounds like you'll be a bit too busy to puppysit. I think I'll wait for Mr. Rorem to have a seminar a little closer to home! :wink:
M

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Angie-

Sounds like you'll be a bit too busy to puppysit. I think I'll wait for Mr. Rorem to have a seminar a little closer to home! :wink:
M
Have puppy will travel. They go everywhere I go no matter what we're doing. Really Miriam it would be no bother.

Angie

G

·
0 Posts
a

Is there a prefered age on the dogs? Does he want dogs from different stages?

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Re: a

gundogman said:
Is there a prefered age on the dogs? Does he want dogs from different stages?
From what I understand it's all levels, because even gundogs can participate.

Angie

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rorem Seminar

More info:

Before the seminar, Dave has judges prepare set-ups like Hunt Tests: SH and MH tests, and Field Trials: QAA and CH stake tests.

Our team of judges will be Rick Greer, Tim Buck, and Bruce Bachert.

From the pool of dog/handler teams attending the seminar, a few teams from each level will be selected by Dave (with the seminar committee) to run the set-ups.

Then, at the seminar, he has a group of 4 or 5 dog/handler teams run each set-up just like it was a test or trial. Dave evaluates and critiques the handler, what their dog was thinking & doing, and what he would have done differently.

Each judge also tells the gallery what they are looking for and why.

Dave also demonstrates with dogs off his truck how to handle dogs on different tests, the use of holding blinds, the line and mat, and how to read a dog. The seminar uses both dead ducks and pheasants, and live flyers.

Our HQ hotel is the Baymont Inn, Round Rock, TX. They will give a rate of $59/night if you mention Triple Crown Dog Academy.

Baymont Inn & Suites
150 Parker Drive
Austin, TX 78728 (Austin address, but actually in Round Rock, TX)
Mention Triple Crown to receive the $59 a night rate.
Phone: 512-246-2800
www.baymontinns.com

Who from RTF is coming? Do we want to have an RTF get-together?

Post up!

Martha Lancaster

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Martha-
I'm VERY interested, but what do you think the odds are that he'd choose an 11 year old (very spry!!) dog to run set-ups? I would hate to fly her if she wouldn't run-would make more sense to come without her.

Thanks-
M

1 - 20 of 48 Posts