RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to let Rowdy out of his kennel run this morning and he was all swollen under his chin/neck. So off we went to ER Vet Clinic. Suspect scorpion bite. On antibotics, steriods, bendryl.

I have had these runs in place for nine years and have never had a problem like this before. I guess we'll just bring him inside.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Pardon the pun Wayne; but that little Rowdy appears to be snake bit
Hope all goes well with your boy on this latest mishap

·
Registered
675 Posts
Oh my, he just got over another one recently didn't he? Regardless hope everything turns out well again.....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Is there any safe bug spray that you could use around the perimeter of the kennel to keep those critters away? Poor Rowdy. Glad we don't have to deal with those, snakes, and gators here in WI. We only have to deal with long winters.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry to hear that wayne. Must be some kinda curse lol. My little guy broke his foot 3 weeks ago. Best of luck to you and rowdy both healing

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've know people that use boric acid, they sprinkle the powder around the house to kill ants and spiders plus other pests. Boric acid is a pH buffer, and used in some eye drops. Please check it out before using, but it may help a lot with out poisining the enviroment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We use Ortho Home Defense spray at Walmart for scorpions here in AZ. Keep in mind you spray it & have to wait until it dries before you let the animals around it (here that takes about 1/2 hour). For us, it lasts a long time as it never rains here, sigh.

Nothing that I know of actually kills them (short of stepping on them & sqaushing them), but its a somewhat deterrent for awhile. We spray around here once a month.

PS: it does have a smell a little for a few days after it dries, especially if its more humid. We keep the dogs inside tho not in kennels, so not sure if that could make your dogs sick from the residual smell 24/7 around their outdoor kennels.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i have a place in johnson city texas and like most places in texas has scorpions,my pest control guy sprays about about every 6 months and other than the ones under rocks it really has kept them away. if you have not tried spraying might be worth looking into. Not that much $$$$

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wayne

Try this around your pen, diatomaceous earth, you can do a search for it on the net, good for snakes and bugs.

Larry

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm going to call our pest control guy in the morning.

Rowdy and I were just sitting under a shade tree in the back yard getting some TLC when a pigeon that had previously escaped walked up to us. He was all over that but I kept him restrained so he didn't hurt himself. Besides the pigeon could still fly. I have the coop in door open now so he can go back in.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
The hell with this little bite, lemme git the pigeon!!

Both of you heal up, you hear?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I would definitely treat the kennel and yard area. Every bite could cause a hypersensitivity and more severe reaction and stress to his immune system.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Try Bengal Roach spray available at Lowes. It is a non-selective insecticide that I use on the area outside the kennel run. It has worked great for me with no issues for all pets, including horses. I use it to keep the garage insect free down here in SA.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I'll try some of the Bengal Roach spray. My pest control guy wasn't all that optimistic. He's going to come and spray anyway.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw a scorpion scurry between and under one of the dog houses yesterday. My big grandsons are coming tomorrow and we'll lift the dog houses up and spray under them with Bengal Roach spray. Then the pest control guy is coming for a broader application. He said they are going to try some new stuff. In the meantime Rowdy is staying inside at night.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My part of the "we'll" is supervision only. Somebody has to be in charge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts