RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Boykin Pups and they are being Pups right now at only 17 weeks.

My question is when do you know it's time to run them in HRC STARTED? Before FF? After? Before CC? After?

I know the environment of a Test will be the most challenging aspect so do you just run them for experience or wait?

What say you?

Robert

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Although not required I like for my started dogs to deliver to hand. Delivery to hand does not necessarily mean the dog is FF'ed. I also like them to walk on all for feet to the line, and to come straight back to me after picking up the bird. I have ran a dog at 18 weeks that has done all of these things. My current dog will be 6 months on Friday and is no where near ready to run started. So each dog is different and you need to ask your self is it worth running and creating problems that will need fixed later, or is my dog ready and running the test won't hurt training. Another question for oneself is am I running the dog at a young age because the dog is capable or is it a mocho thing for you?

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's best to teach a proper delivery, even if you don't have the pup completely force retrieved. Ideally, both should be done.

Anything you allow the pup to do, will in the pup's mind become acceptable. If you do any amount of retrieving when the pup doesn't deliver to hand, you'll have to unteach bad habits later. If you allow him to retreive at will, rather than on command, you risk some amount of confusion when later on, he doesn't get an option anymore.

He's too young to force. Wait until he's done teething. Meanwhile, play retreiving games and teach him to deliver to hand. Let him be a puppy. There'll be plenty of time for the club events after he's forced and mature enough for formal training.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
When your pup will walk to line on lead and at heel without tugging, is steady off lead in demanding situations (I know you can hold the collar but I wouldn't run a dog that I know I have to hold the collar), is delivering to hand (I know you only have to deliver to the area of the line).

If you have a good judge they will go out of there way to set up non-cheating water marks, if you don't have a good judge and you haven't decheated the pup, you will soon be fixing a bank running problem. So I'd prefer to have decheated the dog.

Run started when the dog is at this level and you will prevent many problems that you read about here on RTF from developing.

·
Registered
877 Posts
When your pup will walk to line on lead and at heel without tugging, is steady off lead in demanding situations (I know you can hold the collar but I wouldn't run a dog that I know I have to hold the collar), is delivering to hand (I know you only have to deliver to the area of the line).

If you have a good judge they will go out of there way to set up non-cheating water marks, if you don't have a good judge and you haven't decheated the pup, you will soon be fixing a bank running problem. So I'd prefer to have decheated the dog.

Run started when the dog is at this level and you will prevent many problems that you read about here on RTF from developing.

That is great advice, dont be in a rush until the dogs have a solid foundation
and expierence. You dont want to have to go back and undo problems that could have been avoided. I have seen this and have been there and done that and its no fun.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a couple of Videos I shot last week (The Pups were 16 Weeks).....This is just Play at this point but I am trying to challenge them just a little more each time.

This is not a Macho thing for me...I won't run them til next Spring if I don't think they will make it but the tests I saw at BSS and the different HRC Tests I've seen on video don't seem to be awfully challenging (I'm sure I'll eat those words later)....It seems fairly straight forward but my biggest concern again is the atmosphere.....I guess you are never sure how they will react until you are knee deep in it.

Shaw
Please check out this video on vimeo http://vimeo.com/40487087

Mojo
Please check out this video on vimeo http://vimeo.com/40492388

·
Registered
184 Posts
I won't run started until OB, steady on lead, and at a minimum FF on the table is done. I want Pup to Sit still pick up the bird come straight back and look sharp doing it. I refuse to have to chase my dog around the field. A started dog should atleast be trust worthy to hunt with. If you wouldn't hunt the dog don't test the dog. JMHO. Don't mean to sound harsh. Doing the walk of shame in started is the worst.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
You have a couple of really nice pups! Happy, eager, lots of fun. Please get that big knot out of the rope. That is going to catch on something or just be obnoxiously heavy for pup. Sure would hate to see a snag put any doubt in those pups! Have fun, they look great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have a couple of really nice pups! Happy, eager, lots of fun. Please get that big knot out of the rope. That is going to catch on something or just be obnoxiously heavy for pup. Sure would hate to see a snag put any doubt in those pups! Have fun, they look great.
Carol

Thanks. That knot happened on the release. If you notice she is delayed getting out there and it was because the lead wrapped around my 5 year olds leg and created the knot.

Robert

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Yeah, get that Robert. But you REALLY don't want that kind of thing to happen with little pup. Put about a 10' lead on and don't take a chance. It takes so little to take that joy out of 'em;)

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
My opinion is that you should not run a test at a level till you dog is ready for the next level up. Always be underwelmed at the test.
That's a very "smart" notion! I'd go with that.

Evan

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
My opinion is that you should not run a test at a level till you dog is ready for the next level up. Always be underwelmed at the test.
When would you run at the highest level (where there is no next level up)?:razz:

·
Registered
391 Posts
When would you run at the highest level (where there is no next level up)?:razz:
The top is the top, just be ready to for where you are once you get there.

I know many folks who thought they were ready to run the Grand and had to put fido back on the truck before making it through the first test.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts