RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I asked what three *** signified and I was told that in both labs and goldens it signifies QAA. I have only seen this on Golden's. Do folks that have labs use this designation?

Secondly, I just saw a Golden with ** never saw that before and what does it mean?

Are the *'s recognized as an actual title in Golden's or has it become a convention?

Thanks in advance.

Nancy

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
The asterisks are a club (GRCA) designation only. There is no title involved, although they do indicate an accomplishment.

The "**" means the dog has Derby points.

kg

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
***means QAA, *means they finished a Derby.

Someone put *** behind my dog's name on Gooddoginfo.com

I asked the administrator to please remove it. He asked why and I told him that I would wait until my dog got a real AKC prefix title. :wink:

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
I also voiced my concern about GDI.com using a non-exsistant title of NDC. I asked that they use what was real and that is; High Point Derby Dog. I see they are still using the ficticious title NDC. :wink:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
* Working Certificate (WC)

** Placement or JAM in Licensed Derby

*** QAA dog has placed 1st or 2nd in a licensed Qualifying stake or JAM'ed an AA stake.

These titles are currently only recognized by the GRCA and FCRSA. I think the Tollers also recognize them.

The Lab club does have a WC award that is easier than the WC for the other breeds. They do not award or recognize *, **, or ***. Same for the AKC.

Not sure what the GRCA recognizes if a dog places or JAMS a Qualifying? I think it's **.

Also not sure about a WCX pass, but I assume it's also a *.

What's the story Mel?
John

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Before Labs I had Goldens for a number of years and was a member of the GRCA. Here was the star breakdown as I remember it and I am OLD so my memory might be fuzzy!?

One star* means a Sanction field trial placement (AKC sanction there aren't :roll: many of those anymore)

Two stars ** meant a licensed placement or JAM in a Derby or Qualifying (in the Qual of course it would be a third or fourth place as a 1st or 2nd would be a QAA)

Three stars *** would be a qualified all-age dog as by current AKC rules

Before all us LAB people make "fun" of this, if it wasn't for the Golden Retriever Advisory Council, the forerunner of OFA! The GRCA (Golden Retriever Club of America) were doing x-rays and certifying dogs to be clear of Hip Dysplasia!! long before some of Lab people were still breeding great dogs that were in fact dysplastic. Many of the "old" time great trial dogs would NEVER pass OFA today and they were bred many times! :roll:

Earlo

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the clarification. Tollers actually do not use the *designation and I had only seen it once on a lab. I was not sure if it was a title or as explained a "designation of accomplishment".

Nancy

G

·
Criquetpas said:
One star* means a Sanction field trial placement (AKC sanction there aren't :roll: many of those anymore)
Correct. You will only find "*" on the pedigrees of Goldens from years ago. An example:

http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=22370

Prior to the existence of hunt tests, the GRCA came up with the WC/WCX program to allow folks to show their Goldens had a certain level of field prowess without having to run a sanctioned trial. Eventually the one-star designation stopped being used altogether.

And yes "**" represents a Derby JAM up to a Qual 3rd place.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Booty wrote:

I also voiced my concern about GDI.com using a non-exsistant title of NDC. I asked that they use what was real and that is; High Point Derby Dog. I see they are still using the ficticious title NDC
Gosh, that's what I love about RTF, I learn something new everyday! I didn't realize that "High Point Derby Dog" was a real recognized title! I guess QAA will be right behind.

Pete

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I believe that NDC(National Derby Champ.) is also an old "type" of title if you will that was used from the beginning to recognize the High Point Derby Dog.
Right Earl?????
Sue
Can't think of any examples off the top of my head. Too da_ cold right now!!!! Hate winter :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sue

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
Pete Marcellus said:
Booty wrote:

I also voiced my concern about GDI.com using a non-exsistant title of NDC. I asked that they use what was real and that is; High Point Derby Dog. I see they are still using the ficticious title NDC
Gosh, that's what I love about RTF, I learn something new everyday! I didn't realize that "High Point Derby Dog" was a real recognized title! I guess QAA will be right behind.

Pete
Show me where I wrote that High Point Derby Dog is a title?

I suggest you learn to read!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I am not part of GDI.com but David Abell has granted administator privaledge for the site. We debated how to indicate a QAA dog in the data. The notes didn't show in a pedigree so the title after was decided that the Golden Retriever system of indicating QAA would be continued since most of the early data contributed by Mike Schaninger had used *** to indicate QAA. Even though the symbol *** is not a title it shows on the five generation pedigree that that Labrador is qualified.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
ginger69 said:
I believe that NDC(National Derby Champ.) is also an old "type" of title if you will that was used from the beginning to recognize the High Point Derby Dog.
Right Earl?????
Sue
Can't think of any examples off the top of my head. Too da_ cold right now!!!! Hate winter :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sue
I believe they used the title Natl. Derby Ch. as a prefix (unoffical) and you will see it in many of the older dogs. Example anyone who has the original James Lamb Free's , Training Your Retriever, circa 1949 and udated a few times will show in the back of the text the above title on some dogs as a pre-fix and Free speaks of the title in his "the Truth about Pedigree" chapters. Thats all I know, don't want to get in the middle of a who is more correct arguement.

Example: FTC Deer Creek's CForcatl ( FTC was changed to FC)
(1949 Natl. Derby Ch)

another one FC/AFC Col-Tam Craignook
(1962 Natl Derby Ch.)

Mr. Morgan's FC Cream City Coed (1961 Natl Derby Ch.)
is listed as a suffix? maybe the start of eliminating it ?
(Charles Morgan)

Earl

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mr Booty said:
***means QAA, *means they finished a Derby.

Someone put *** behind my dog's name on Gooddoginfo.com

I asked the administrator to please remove it. He asked why and I told him that I would wait until my dog got a real AKC prefix title. :wink:
Qualified All Age has nothing to do with a derby? To be QAA, a dog has to have either placed first or second in Qualifying or had a placement in all age competition. <Thats my understanding>

Correct---its not a real title. I sure as heck would rather have a dog bred from a *** in good dog over a senior hunter any day. Sure NDC isn't a real title anymore, but that dog was at least a heck of a marker.

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
pafromga said:
Qualified All Age has nothing to do with a derby? To be QAA, a dog has to have either placed first or second in Qualifying or had a placement in all age competition. <Thats my understanding>

Correct---its not a real title. I sure as heck would rather have a dog bred from a *** in good dog over a senior hunter any day. Sure NDC isn't a real title anymore, but that dog was at least a heck of a marker.
Correct, QAA has nothing to do with Derby. They can also become QAA by finishing an AA stake(JAM).

All the High Point Derby Dogs were great young markers!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts