RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
This has been going on for a long time, yet it was constantly ignored by the City. Like everything else, nothing happens until a tragedy occurs. Another issue is shelters being run by private for-profit contractors. Don't think this isn't happening in your town...

·
Registered
9 Posts
The MSMBC article states: "Animal rights activists said they were outraged by the killings." What a crock, if you have not read about the trial of PETA employees that were killing cats and dogs taken from an animal shelter in North Carolina, under the guise of adopting them out, should read the following link: http://www.petakillsanimals.com/ Before the van they were driving got out of the city limits, the PETA employees would euthanize the animals and throw them in a dumpster behind a grocery store. I love the way animal-rights activists put their own little spin on things.

Wildflugel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wildflugel said:
The MSMBC article states: "Animal rights activists said they were outraged by the killings." What a crock, if you have not read about the trial of PETA employees that were killing cats and dogs taken from an animal shelter in North Carolina, under the guise of adopting them out, should read the following link: http://www.petakillsanimals.com/ Before the van they were driving got out of the city limits, the PETA employees would euthanize the animals and throw them in a dumpster behind a grocery store. I love the way animal-rights activists put their own little spin on things.

Wildflugel
I was going to post this same thing. I agree what a crock.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It sounds like "animal rights activists" were DISagreeing with and distancing themselves from PETA, and that's an interesting twist.

My reading of the article is that the "animal rights activists" were not PETA--PETA was the organization that apparently came in, noticed disease, and got the shelter to put the animals down. Not all the animals were diseased, according to the article (were they contagious? shoot, who knows...) Maybe it was indeed necessary? But anything with PETA putting down animals will be forever tainted and suspicious in my mind...

Also,

Shelter officials vowed to adopt new policies when it reopens Friday, including euthanizing animals after 72 hours at the shelter — as the Humane Society recommends — and improving conditions for the animals, including vaccinating them when they arrive.
72 hours? Wow. Is this a common time frame? I hope they check for microchips. All of them. Not just between shoulder blades, but wherever they could reasonably migrate to. (I'm picturing a dog that gets out of the house while someone's dogsitting, and contact info on a tag doesn't match with the person that's looking for the dog... shudder!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts