RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who thinks the Saints general manager, head coach, and ex-defensive coordinator have earned lifetime suspensions from the NFL?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Every team in the league has these "pools." There has been no confirmation that any of the bounties were to actually injure anyone (only speculation), and it doesn't appear that the head coach or general manager were involved/aware until very recently. Coincidentally (or not) the defensive coordinator was not asked back when his contract ended. There will be fines, suspensions and lost draft picks, but the bottom line is if the players conducted themselves in a way that was against the rules of the game, they were penalized. The 49ers admittedly made it a point of emphasis this year to "knock out" running backs and literally knocked out Pierre Thomas in the playoffs with a helmet to helmet, concussion inducing shot. Where's the outrage for their actions?

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Seems to me it shouldn't be treated any different than "Spy Gate", what was the outcome of that a fine and 1 draft choice but no suspensions. Its been going on for decades, I remember in the 80's when Charles Martin wrote the hitlist on a towel that he hung from his belt.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Howard every NFL team probably has something similiar . The Saints just got caught.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
quote:

The 49ers admittedly made it a point of emphasis this year to "knock out" running backs and literally knocked out Pierre Thomas in the playoffs with a helmet to helmet, concussion inducing shot. Where's the outrage for their actions?

Pretty funny right there!:razz:

How do you guarentee who gets injured with helmet to helmet contact??:razz:

There has always been quite a bit of trash talk before games..

I dont think I have ever seen opposing players high 5in each other on their sidelines when players from the other team are down,and carried off on a cart!!:rolleyes:

Member sticks and stones.... bla bla bla.

Are there seedy players/coaches in the league?? Sure!! No different than your workplace..

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
I like to argue with myself!!!:p

I dont think I have ever seen opposing players high 5in each other on their sidelines when players from the other team are down,and carried off on a cart!!:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTLlaMY_9PM

Martin was HEAVILY fined,,,, thrown out of the game..
I believe the players that were celebrating the hit, were fined also...
Martin was a third year player..... I guess he got his 3 minutes a fame!!

This has gone on for ever.. Martin had a towel that had "names" on it... The sad part its why many watch football!!

Gooser

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Every team in the league has these "pools." There has been no confirmation that any of the bounties were to actually injure anyone (only speculation), and it doesn't appear that the head coach or general manager were involved/aware until very recently. Coincidentally (or not) the defensive coordinator was not asked back when his contract ended. There will be fines, suspensions and lost draft picks, but the bottom line is if the players conducted themselves in a way that was against the rules of the game, they were penalized. The 49ers admittedly made it a point of emphasis this year to "knock out" running backs and literally knocked out Pierre Thomas in the playoffs with a helmet to helmet, concussion inducing shot. Where's the outrage for their actions?
The 49ers ended Jahvid Bests season and possibly his career with a concussion this year...

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the Saints general manager, head coach, and ex-defensive coordinator have earned lifetime suspensions from the NFL?
At the least some serious time off w/o pay or contact of any kind - like at least a year :cool:. I also believe that a play that is a foul should result in a suspension (w/o pay or contact) equal to the time missed by the player fouled.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The 49ers admittedly made it a point of emphasis this year to "knock out" running backs and literally knocked out Pierre Thomas in the playoffs with a helmet to helmet, concussion inducing shot. Where's the outrage for their actions?
The 49ers ended Jahvid Bests season and possibly his career with a concussion this year...
Why are the 49ers being brought into this? They didn't get caught PAYING players, with money partially donated by the DC, to knock out players.

I don't know how to look it up but I'd be willing to bet every team in the league knocked some player out of a game at some point last season. That's part of the voilent nature of the game. Putting bounties on purposefully trying to injure a player is not.

No coincidence that the posters shrugging their shoulders and making excuses for this are from the LA area I'm sure...:rolleyes: So everything is legal until you get caught?

Payton and Williams at least will be suspended for 3 or 4 games, there will be fines and the team will be hit HARD with loss of draft picks. Goodell is going to make an example of them.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Bill Belichick got caught cheating, video taping practices and stealing signals to win games, Goodell dropped the hammer on him, he didn't get suspended for even one practice. Don't see how Payton will get suspended for 3 or 4 games when Belichick who got cheating doesn't get one, however Goodell doesn't seem to follow any logic when handing on fines and suspensions.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Why are the 49ers being brought into this?
Oh, I don't know...

SAN FRANCISCO — These 49ers are in severe attack mode.
They’re not just looking to beat the Giants and knock them out of the playoffs — they are looking to knock them out of the game, starting with running back Ahmad Bradshaw. There might as well be a bull’s-eye on Bradshaw’s back. Six times this season the 49ers have knocked an opposing running back out of the game.
That is how they win games. That’s what they did to Pierre Thomas last week in their 36-32 victory over the Saints.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/ahmad_about_you_rB7KvJufmdAqa7ZU1Sk7PJ#ixzz1oBOE5VoU

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mngundog what Belicek did, did not directly lead to injuring another player. What Williams and Payton did, did. It's one thing to do everything you can to get intelligence on another team. It's another thing to pay someone to injure a player.

Loomis was told to stop it and didn't he's a higher up and just as guilty.

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
Oh, I don't know...

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO — These 49ers are in severe attack mode.
They’re not just looking to beat the Giants and knock them out of the playoffs — they are looking to knock them out of the game, starting with running back Ahmad Bradshaw. There might as well be a bull’s-eye on Bradshaw’s back. Six times this season the 49ers have knocked an opposing running back out of the game.
That is how they win games. That’s what they did to Pierre Thomas last week in their 36-32 victory over the Saints.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...#ixzz1oBOE5VoU

I couldn't believe with that blantent helmet to helmet hit that a penalty wasn't called. Not only did they knock Pierre out cold with that illegal hit, it was his first fumble in two seasons and at the three yard line!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have a 4th grader going to play Pop Warner FT again this summer. What type of role model does this offer my son?
Good grief. Actually paying someone to hurt another?
If you or I went out and beat the sh5t out of another we would be arrested.
What "if" God forbid that player you were paid to hurt actually suffered a broken spine instead of a concussion.
So some say "it's done all the time?"
Really? really?
Then it better quit don't ya think?
Sue

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have a 4th grader going to play Pop Warner FT again this summer. What type of role model does this offer my son?
Good grief. Actually paying someone to hurt another?
If you or I went out and beat the sh5t out of another we would be arrested.
What "if" God forbid that player you were paid to hurt actually suffered a broken spine instead of a concussion.
So some say "it's done all the time?"
Really? really?
Then it better quit don't ya think?
Sue
1. Your kid needs better role models. Folks in their 20s don't often make good ones. Then again, nobody is perfect, so I'd focus on some of the aspects of their life that might have a positive influence on your kid (the hard work, sacrifice part might be a good start). I mention this because I'm sure that even Abe Lincoln did stuff I wouldn't want my kid to do.

2. Did anybody beat the shirt out of another player? If you hit somebody in a football game, you won't get arrested. There's a difference between clean hits and dirty hits (I need to do some research about the Saints' policy as whether they were paid for dirty hits).

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
mngundog what Belicek did, did not directly lead to injuring another player. What Williams and Payton did, did. It's one thing to do everything you can to get intelligence on another team. It's another thing to pay someone to injure a player.

Loomis was told to stop it and didn't he's a higher up and just as guilty.
What Williams did was reward players for doing what the players were trying to do anyway, they did not lead them to it, just rewarded them. I would say that 90% of the defensive players or trying to deliver as hard as blow as they can with or without a bounty, the bounty is bad PR that is all. What Belicek did was cheating which is far worse IMO.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Bill Belichick got caught cheating, video taping practices and stealing signals to win games, Goodell dropped the hammer on him, he didn't get suspended for even one practice. Don't see how Payton will get suspended for 3 or 4 games when Belichick who got cheating doesn't get one, however Goodell doesn't seem to follow any logic when handing on fines and suspensions.
Not the same thing. What the Patriots did was bad, real bad and they were fined severely ($500,000 for the coach, $250,000 for the team) and, if I remember right, they lost draft pick(s). However, no players lives or careers were put in jeopardy because of it.

The league has put a huge emphasis on protecting players from illegal hits and/or hits that are likely to lead to severe injury. A team REWARDING players for inflicting these kinds of hits, in this day and age, is going to pay the price.

Oh, I don't know...
This was an opinion piece. The Niners were known for having one of the most physical defenses in the league. That's not the same as REWARDING players with illegal bonuses to purposefully injure the other team.

What Williams did was reward players for doing what the players were trying to do anyway, they did not lead them to it, just rewarded them. I would say that 90% of the defensive players or trying to deliver as hard as blow as they can with or without a bounty, the bounty is bad PR that is all. What Belicek did was cheating which is far worse IMO.
Really? How do you know that? The fact that Williams took this bounty system to 3 different teams shows a pattern. You're telling me he didn't lead them to it? Just coincidence that it came up at 3 different teams that he was the defensive coordinator of? :confused:

Franco, the helmet to helmet hit on Pierre was NOT illegal. That rule only applies (right or wrong) to receivers. Runners, or receivers that have caught the ball then start moving with it (thus becoming runners) are not protected by the rule. There was more than one article floating around explaining this after the game. Besides, Whitner was going for the hit (down low) and Pierre ducked his head just before contact.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/30498/why-hit-on-pierre-thomas-was-legal

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.