RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read Ted's post about having to scrap a series and start over. I was curious how often this happens? I've only had to scrap a test once in the times i've judged, back in 2008. I still catch flack over it. Whats people's experience having to do this and what kind of feedback did you get?

/Paul

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I ran a master test last weekend that they scraped the 2nd series after 4 dogs. Just moved the birds in different directions than org and reran those 4dogs last since we were on a rotation. Glad the judges saw the issues that could have been dangerous to dogs and fixed the problem. I don't often see it happening thou, some judges just stick with the mess up and judge accordingly.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I think it happens far less in the HT world. Its much easier to set up a test that will judge to a "standard" verses setting up a test that only XX% of an unknown field of 80 dogs will be able to do.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
It's not an ideal situation, and sometimes due to limited time or grounds there is no option but to keep going, but I applaud the judges that realize early on that they laid an egg and it is time to cut their losses and move on with another test. Most safety and visibility issues should be forseen, but sometimes something is missed on set-up day, some more likely reasons to scrap a test are that the test ends up being much harder or easier than expected. I once had to scrap a water blind that looked like a normal, difficult on and off a point blind. We had about 12 dogs back to it and scrapped it with one dog to go and only two dogs had not picked up.

John

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I ran a master test last weekend that they scraped the 2nd series after 4 dogs. Just moved the birds in different directions than org and reran those 4dogs last since we were on a rotation. Glad the judges saw the issues that could have been dangerous to dogs and fixed the problem. I don't often see it happening thou, some judges just stick with the mess up and judge accordingly.
I was under the impression that judges had to move to a different site to set up the new test.

"When a series is discontinued after one or more dogs have run, the Judges shall exercise care to locate the new series in an area different from that which the original series was held. By doing so, they can fairly re-evaluate the abilities of the dog or dogs that have already run in the area used for the discontinued hunting situation."

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yeah the test should have moved in the first place but the changed the directions of both birds . THe dogs that had to rerun it did it the next day and all 3 did fine. Not the best way to do it but when you have 83 dogs starting and 71 coming back to the 2nd , that does not leave much time to move everything. It worked fine and glad the judges knew it was not going to work for both safety and dogs not seeing one of the birds good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts