RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experience with these. Our dog just had one and it ruptured and is now healing. Vet said she needs to have surgery otherwise it will keep coming back. Is that true? We're looking to get a second opinion.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Any experience with these. Our dog just had one and it ruptured and is now healing. Vet said she needs to have surgery otherwise it will keep coming back. Is that true? We're looking to get a second opinion.
Thanks
I know in people they will return if they don`t get the sac during the surgery. Where was the cyst Good idea getting second opinion!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
My 13 year old has a bunch of them. I just keep popping them. Some go away and some come back. We had her very first one removed surgically. Vet just said to keep popping them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Our female AWS had one in the exact same place. It ruptured. We did surgery and all is well not. BTW, she is a top show dog (as well as a hunt test dog).

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a choc girl that had two reoccuring ones on her back/ shoulder area. They would eventually begin to ooze and I'd put on gloves and squeeze as much as I could. If I had to I could use a heavy gauge hypo needle and lance it to get it started

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Bramble has a nasty cyst on his torso. My vet called it a cyst, but not sure if it is a sebaceous cyst. It has ruptured. She prescribed a combination of cleaning with hydrogen peroxide, then rubbing in neosporin. She also gave me a prescription for cephalexin (500 ml)--4 every 24 hours, and a Bynadryl 25 ml twice daily). This was a month ago. Results, not too good.

She did recommend surgery, but with a 14 year old lab, I am reluctant.

I have a follow up appt on Thursday. She also mentioned "fly season" is around the corner, and maggots could be trouble.

Decision time for me, and let me know what you learn, and will do the same.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
164 Posts
"She did recommend surgery, but with a 14 year old lab, I am reluctant"

Should be able to remove it with a local anesthetic if she is a fairly quiet dog.

These do tend to recur if not surgically removed. The problem with popping them is that they may get infected and them you have a greater mess on your hands.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ares was probaly baseball size before it broke open. I was suprised how hard it really got for being fluid. Goodluck to you and your dog John. I'll keep you posted. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Ares was probaly baseball size before it broke open. I was suprised how hard it really got for being fluid. Goodluck to you and your dog John. I'll keep you posted. Thanks everyone!
Bramble's is probably ping pong ball sized, but it is an open wound, I would lean toward surgery for a younger dawg based on the little I have learned.

Good luck to you too, and thanks all.

nasty pic included.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
John, that is what Brittany's did. She had surgery to remove that one. The rest of them haven't done what that first one did. They do come back after popping sometimes but she is 13 and I am not going to put her thru a surgery or anything like that. I would see if that can be done with a local but if not you may need to have it removed. Hers got pretty big, about ping pong size as well. All her other ones have been eraser size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts